Brand new MBP 13 or refurbished MBP 15 i5

Reaction score
Hello,
Am looking forward to buying a new laptop instead of my old white Macbook so I found two options on apple online store:

1-MBP 13 inch display- 2,4 GH intel core due - 250 giga HDD - 4 gig ram and this one is brand new for 1199$

Or

2-refurbished MBP 15 inch display- 2,4 intel i5 processor - 320 giga HDD - 4 gig of ram for 1529$

Plzz give me ur opinion even though my heart says the 15 inch is a sweet deal but I never bought a refurbished b4 and I need ur thoughts on that

Thxxx

OP
D
Reaction score

Thxx for the quick reply,

I do not mind paying extra 300 for a better performance but am concerned about refurbished products whether they have any scratches or sth like that.
If not , am absolutely going for the 15'

Thxxx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are absolutely no problems getting an Apple refurbished computer. If you want more "testimonials"...do a site search...lots of threads on that topic.

I can't remember seeing a negative one yet.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
An i5, if/when you need to push it, will effectively double the performance of the C2D. If you plan on doing anything CPU intensive, get the i5, no questions.

OP
D
Reaction score
Do u know if the refurb notebooks have any cosmetic abnormalities..( scratches ...,etc) or they look exactly like the new laptops?

Thx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do u know if the refurb notebooks have any cosmetic abnormalities..( scratches ...,etc) or they look exactly like the new laptops?

Thx

I don't remember anyone mentioned it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I don't remember anyone mentioned it.

- Nick

They can do though. Refurbished is stuff they have had returned and its been used and was broken and now fixed.

I dont think they will take back stuff that got large marks on such as a scratch on the screen but there may be some minor cosmetic damage.

It all depends if you want a brand new device or are happy with one someone else has used. I considered refurbished when buying mine but after saving up for ages and being without a decent computer I wanted something brand new.

It may be cheaper buying refurbished but its such a nice feeling opening a new product and being the first person to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Thx

I'm currently own and using a refurb MBP 13 ABSOLUTELY NO blemish or scratches. And it's also my second refurb MBP 13. The other was a 2009 model. Pristine condition when it came out of the box under wraps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I'm currently own and using a refurb MBP 13 ABSOLUTELY NO blemish or scratches. And it's also my second refurb MBP 13. The other was a 2009 model. Pristine condition when it came out of the box under wraps.

Sure but if they got back a faulty product with a tiny surface mark they wouldn't bin it because of that they would patch it up and resell it as refurbished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Sure but if they got back a faulty product with a tiny surface mark they wouldn't bin it because of that they would patch it up and resell it as refurbished.

Not sure how Apple handle their refurb product. I would think it's would be easier, quicker and maybe cheaper to replace any cosmetic damaged parts. I was in the same thinking as you with refurb product since most other company treat cosmetic damage as within the lower priced value. But Apple have a much better and higher quality control regarding their refurb product. I couldn't believed it myself when I first got my refurb iPod some years ago, then my MBP last year. They look brand new except for the difference in serial numbers designation. I think most refurbs came from display models in their stores.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They can do though. Refurbished is stuff they have had returned and its been used and was broken and now fixed.

This is a good definition for most refurbished products from most companies...but I think that Apple does a MUCH better job when they refurbish something. Including the replacement of parts that have cosmetic issues.

Like I mentioned earlier...I cannot remember the last time I heard someone mention that their refurbished Apple product had cosmetic issues. This doesn't mean that it can't happen...but that it would seem to be the very rare case rather than the norm.

Apple refurbished products also include items that were returned working & looking perfect...and simply cannot be resold as new. For example items that were returned because someone changed their mind about the purchase.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just ordered this MBP online

Congrats! I would also have absolutely no problem purchasing an Apple refurbished product. Saving a few hundred dollars on one (versus new) is highly desirable.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.