• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need Advice-What to buy teen filmmaker

Reaction score
I have never used macs before and my 15-year-old son is into film making. He has been saving for a Mac and has about 2k to spend. Since Christmas and his Christmas Eve birthday is coming up, we might add some cash to sweeten the pot a bit. Can someone recommend what they feel would be a good system, new or used to purchase for a young filmmaker in that price range? My sister, who is familiar with Macs, felt that a desktop would get him more bang for his buck, rather than a laptop. I thought I'd ask all the Mac users out there who have some experience and like to make films what there suggestions are, and then what programs are necessary and affordable for young filmmakers just getting their feet wet-thanks so much for everyone's help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm assuming that the $2k budget (and maybe some additional $$$) will be for both a new Macintosh computer & "film-making" software. If this is the case...I would set aside at least $250 for software...and maybe more.

Titles to consider:

- Expensive (Final Cut Pro) $999: Final Cut Studio - Apple Store (U.S.)
- Intermediately expensive (Final Cut Express) $199: Final Cut Express 4.0 - Apple Store (U.S.)
- Relatively inexpensive (iLife '11...which contains iMovie) $49: iLife '11 - Apple Store (U.S.)

With this said (and with the remaining budget)...as far as a computer...I would recommend a 21.5" or 27" iMac in the $1200-$1600 range.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
I'm a teenage filmmaker and I have last year's 21.5" iMac with Final Cut Express. Even though I have the $1200 version (lowest specifications) it performs very well for me. With 2k to spend I personally would get either the 3.2GHz 21.5" iMac or the 27" 3.2GHz iMac. The only difference between these two is screen size. Unless he's doing some very intense editing final cut express should be sufficient (refer to pigoo's post).

C

chas_m

I have to point out that any NEW Mac will have iLife 11 already on it (or Apple will send it along for a few bucks if by chance the 09 version is still on it when you buy it).

If the teen in question is just starting out, iMovie should be sufficient. If he's already demonstrated some genuine talent or affinity for the fundamentals of film making (ie not the computer part of it), then I'd second the suggestions for Final Cut Express.

Save the Final Cut Studio for when he's made some money with his work. :)

Reaction score
Does he have a video camera already? If not I would say factor in a good video camera. I agree with everyone else that an imac with final cut express to start out with would be great. I would also recomend getting a good pair of headphones. I use these and think there are the best that I have ever used. I would also recommend upgrading the hard drive in the imac because video takes up a lot of space.

Thank You
Giovanni

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You can also factor in an external hard drive to store media files on. As mentioned before, the video files can be huge and it's recommended that you not keep them on your main system hard drive. LaCie is brand used by many digital film makers.

Reaction score
My personal recommendation is the 17" Macbook Pro, you should try picking one up on eBay, those go starting near like $1500.

Reaction score
For starters, I recommend Final Cut Studio. I would say it's top of the line. Make his xmas the best one yet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
With a ballpark of 2k to spend, I think the bulk should be going to hardware solutions and NOT Final Cut Pro Studio. Express is a great "get your feet wet" software tool and it is feature-rich enough to manufacture and manipulate entry level professional grade video.

I hope he has the camera already. If not, that could put a serious strain on the budget you are considering.

And as always....check the Apple refurb store. Save yourself some cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you are in the US or any country for that matter, but ill link you too the US store, but you cant go past the Refurb Store.
You can pick up more Mac for less $ and you get the same benifits of buying a new Mac.
Such as the 1 yr warranty with the 90day phone support. There are many here that swear buy the Refurb Store and to be honest a lot of there products are new ..... Check it out bc as i said you will save $ and beable to get a better spec Mac ... Worth a look IMHO :)

Cheers

EDIT : Just like brairden ^^^^ suggested

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.