• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ebay account was hacked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Well last night around 9 I posted an Iphone 3G for sale on ebay (on my PC), then around 11 PM I received an email telling me my account had been compromised and was shut down. There were no links, or give us information links, and after logging looking at my account on eBay the news was true. :Angry:
The codes I received from eBay were:
MC033 Account Security Notice: eBay Auction(s) Canceled
MC027 Billing - Temporary Exclusion From Automatic Payment of Selling Fees
MC010 Support Warning - Account Security (Selling) - Restored Account

So, now I'm all nervous because right before I logged in a "previously logged in" popped up along with my user ID on the eBay page that said (F**KYOUMOTHERF***ER) but I didn't really think anything of it, thought maybe it was my brother joking around. I guess thats not really clear, I'm talking about for example when you are getting ready to log in and you double click the "user ID" and the previous log in names display below.

So should I be worried about bank accounts, credit cards etc. too?

I'm thinking about just not using my PC for any personal info like that anymore, and just using my mac.

I'm running a full scan of updated Malwarebytes

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So should I be worried about bank accounts, credit cards etc. too?

Did they use the same password as you used for your eBay account? Is the password on all of these accounts strong?

I'm thinking about just not using my PC for any personal info like that anymore, and just using my mac.

It likely has little to do with your OS and more to do with the strength of your password. You're probably just the random recipient of a password hack attempt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I had this happen to me a couple of years ago, where the person who hijacked my account placed a bunch of motorcycles for sale, which gave me more than 300 dollars in fees. I contacted ebay, paypal, and all accounts associated with ebay and paypal to change passwords over the phone. Ebay retracted the listings and fees right away. You gotta call everyone as soon as possible! It's easier to change passwords to everything, than it is to deal with theft!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did they use the same password as you used for your eBay account? Is the password on all of these accounts strong?

It likely has little to do with your OS and more to do with the strength of your password. You're probably just the random recipient of a password hack attempt.

The password was honestly terrible, it was from years ago, and I rarely use eBay, so I may just put a good password on there after this happened. Hopefully I don't have any more issues

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The password was honestly terrible, it was from years ago, and I rarely use eBay, so I may just put a good password on there after this happened. Hopefully I don't have any more issues

That's probably why.

The strategy I recommend is this...

come up with 3 passwords that are strong. It should have a change of case, at least one number and at least one special character. I would recommend NOT using English words.

A good example would be something like this:

G0ing2+h3St0R3!

It spells out "Going to the Store!", but it's not an English word - and very difficult to hack with a brute force attack.

Come up with three passwords like this. Use one for every day, low-security needs (registering for generic websites, etc). Use one for social networking (forums like this one), online shopping and other medium-security sites. Then, reserve one for financial and high-security sites like online banking and any site that has a lot of identity information.

This way, if you ever get hacked, you have multiple layers of security. Getting one password does not mean that the hacker can completely own you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The strategy I recommend is this...

come up with 3 passwords that are strong. It should have a change of case, at least one number and at least one special character. I would recommend NOT using English words.

A good example would be something like this:

G0ing2+h3St0R3!

It spells out "Going to the Store!", but it's not an English word - and very difficult to hack with a brute force attack.

Come up with three passwords like this. Use one for every day, low-security needs (registering for generic websites, etc). Use one for social networking (forums like this one), online shopping and other medium-security sites. Then, reserve one for financial and high-security sites like online banking and any site that has a lot of identity information.

This way, if you ever get hacked, you have multiple layers of security. Getting one password does not mean that the hacker can completely own you.

Thanks for the tips "cwa"...I appreciate it!!!:) I would have to start writing those types of passwords down somewhere.;)

On the positive side I do follow a couple of the rules you mentioned. My passwords are "alpha-numeric" and are not English words.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tips "cwa"...I appreciate it!!!:) I would have to start writing those types of passwords down somewhere.;)

On the positive side I do follow a couple of the rules you mentioned. My passwords are "alpha-numeric" and are not English words.

- Nick

Well, that's why you come up with something that makes sense to you. Come up with a short phrase like "I ate the 2 pound burger!" and then just switch it up a bit:

i8th32#Burg3r!

This way it's relatively easy to remember (after you've typed it a few times), but it wouldn't make a bit of sense to someone until you've explained it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, that's why you come up with something that makes sense to you. Come up with a short phrase like "I ate the 2 pound burger!" and then just switch it up a bit:

i8th32#Burg3r!

This way it's relatively easy to remember (after you've typed it a few times), but it wouldn't make a bit of sense to someone until you've explained it.

I'll have to do some practicing using that method (or abbreviated language).

You HAD to mention a "2 pound burger"...I'm hungry!;)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Leet speak is fun.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice. All my other passwords are pretty complex, but I just was neglecting that one because I never use it (I know not a good excuse) but now I learned, at least eBay caught it :Oops::Smirk:!!! I'm hungry too, thanks for reminding me hahaha....Smash Burger sounds good.....mmm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.