Iphone 2G

Reaction score
So I have an unlocked Iphone 2G with 1.1.4 firmware. What will happen if I upgrade the firmware to 3.1.3 ? Will I still be able to use my Iphone normally ?What will I not be able to do if I upgrade the firmware ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you phone is software unlocked, when you update the iOS it will revert to be locked again, so you'll have to go through the unlocking portion again.

Regards

OP
N
Reaction score
How about the signal ? Will I be locked to AT&T or will I still be able to use SIM card from other carriers ?

This might sound like a stupid question but what does it mean by the software will be locked again ? Does it I mean that I will have to pay for softwares, which I don't mind doing ? Or does it mean that I won't be able to use any software again ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
There are two things you need to know about unlocking iphones, number 1 is jailbreaking, this is the process of being able to unlock the OS on the phone without having to register the phone on a network, it also gives you access to free software/ apps etc. 2 is unlocking which enables you to use the phone on the network of your choice. It takes a bit of research to understand it all, I suggest Googleing "Jailbreaking and unlocking iphone 2G 1.1.4"

- Simon

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You have an unlocked phone you say. THat means that you are not linked to AT&T and can use any SIM card. Well there are ways to get it unlocked in a manner in which it always stays that way. But more commonly that unlocking is done through a software and when you update the firmware that unlock goes away and you'll be locked to AT&T again but you can just re-run the unlocking for the new firmware and you should be able to use it on any carrier once again..

Regards

OP
N
Reaction score
So it will not matter much if I am currently using AT&T ? My phone will just be locked to AT&T till I unlock it again right ? Other than that, I can still use it normally ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If it was originally from AT&T then it shouldn't matter a jot no

- Simon

C

chas_m

I have an unlocked 2G iPhone running 3.1.3, which proves it is doable. I personally didn't want to jailbreak/unlock my iPhone, but had little choice -- 2G iPhones are not supported in Canada, since they were never sold here.

I never tried any US sim card other than AT&T, but because the iPhone is unlocked it should in theory work with ANY standard sim-card-using GSM carrier, like T-Mobile or Verizon in the US. Up here of course we have many compatible carriers. I have a "Canadian" sim and my AT&T sim (I still use their service when I'm in the states, no complaints).

So it's doable. I used to consider it quite the PITA but now that I've gone as far as a 2G can go (3.1.3), I'm glad I did it. As for the "free" unofficial apps, largely that's very overrated -- there are a handful of nifty ones, but that's it -- a handful. Maybe a dozen. Tops. And the REALLY good ones are paid apps, just not available via iTunes. For me, it's pretty "meh." YMMV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.