• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any book people here?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
What are you reading currently? Do you have any good books to recommend? Are there particular kinds of books you enjoy reading?

Share anything with us!

I've become fascinated with the british monarchy around the time of Henry VIII. So I purchased the book "Royal Affairs". Can't wait to read it. I'm also addicted to The Tudors TV series; it's a guilty pleasure of mine. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
George r r martin, Raymond e fiest, and Niel gaiman are three of my favorite authors. Pretty much anything by them is good.

Pick up American Gods by Gaiman if you get a chance.

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart is a really good one too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The Count of Monte Cristo...my favorite book to read. Other than that, just medical books...I don't waste my time reading fake stories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Lord of the Flies always caught my attention.. Maybe it was because I read it every year through 4 years of high school english..

"Kill the pig! Slit her throat! Spill her blood!" .. Haha..

Not really a hard-read, but I bought Gears of War; Aspho Fields.. If you're as into the story of the game as I am, you'll love this one. It ties up a lot of loose ends in the story and makes everything come together nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Primarily a Sci-fi/Fantasy reader, but I'll pick up just about any Fiction.

This summer has been a David Weber summer - completing the 12 Honor Harrington books (space fiction), Out of the Dark (alien invasion) and now in the 4th book of the Safehold series.

Just finished Power Down by Ben Coes (a full-out action terrorist thriller).

Along with my current David Weber book, am also reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons - '90 Hugo winner.

Pretty much always have 2 books going at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. Patricia Cornwell

2. James Patterson

3. John Connolly

4. Michael Connelly

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"The Twelfth IMAM" - fiction by Joel C. Rosenberg (My favorite author.)

Reaction score
Currently reading Engineman by Eric Brown. Primarily read science fiction.
Favorite authors: Peter F. Hamilton, C. J. Cherryh, William Gibson, Terry Pratchett.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Reading Bram Stoker's Dracula at the moment... Next on the list is A Clockwork Orange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have just read The Girl with Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - a thriller from a Swedish author - great book

I also read History, science, science fiction and general fiction

I would also recommend any book by Alexander McCall Smith, start with The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - set in Botswana

Not a book, but I would also recommend The History of Rome - a podcast on iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
2. James Patterson
I am on "Mary Mary" right now. Once I finish the Alex Cross series, I will start on the Women's Murder Club series... unless a new Steve Berry or James Rollins book comes out first!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My taste is also SF.
Currently rereading an oldie, "Lest Darkness Fall" by L. Sprague DeCamp.

Also partial to the David Weber books. My favorite fiction books are probably:

Ivanhoe
LOTR trilogy
Witches of Karres
Pandora's Planet
Robinson Crusoe
Red Storm Rising

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro. 2.66GHz. 8GB RAM. 256GB SSD. Hi-Res Antiglare Display
The title of this subject reminded me; somehow I need to find more time to read.

With that said; I am currently into Griftopia, by Matt Taibbi.

Next book on the table; Life, by Keith Richards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Rarely do I get a chance to read for pleasure, but when I do, I really like Harlan Coben mysteries. Great author, easy fast reads. No filler BS like a lot of authors use when they don't have a lot of story to tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have just read The Girl with Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - a thriller from a Swedish author - great book

All my friends are really high on the Millennium Series. The trilogy is probably the next on my list to buy. I've put it off hoping that they put a bundle out on Kindle. I picked up the Sookie Stackhouse series that way. I got all 8 books for $30 on sale in e-book form. Hopefully they do something similar, but right now it is $5.21 for The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. I may just pull the trigger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've mostly been reading for a novels class in my Masters program. Just finished Nadine Gordimer's Burger's Daugher. Tough book to read for sure, but well worth the Nobel Prize it won.

For fun, this summer I read Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. Very long, but very good book. Horribly Starz miniseries so I'd say skip that. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Love Sci-Fi stuff!
I'm currently reading Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles for the 2nd time. Then I have Fahrenheit 451 (same author) on my night stand to read for the 3rd time.

I also enjoyed The Prince by Machiavelli. (brief non-fiction read you can do in one afternoon)
I've read through a lot of Freud's old lectures just for leisure. Don't agree with everything that coke-head dreamed up, but some of it holds merit (in my opinion).

I recommend Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe and Eyeless in Gaza by Aldous Huxley. Neither are sci-fi, and E.K.A.A.T is non-fiction and a VERY interesting/entertaining read.

Used to read A LOT. Sadly, in the last 7 or 8 yrs I've slowed down drastically due to that darn technology stuff. ;) I don't enjoy reading books on my iPad. Just not the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.