• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

LifeHacker- How To Break Into a Mac…And Prevent It From Happening-> To YOU

Reaction score
For the record, this has NOTHING to do with "hackintosh" machines, and therefore, discussions about it shall remain off of this thread per forum rules.

How to Break Into a Mac (And Prevent It from Happening to You)

As for me personally, my Mac is Kensington-locked to a non-movable desk. I turn the screen off or engage the screensaver- this instantly locks the computer. I'm afraid to use FileVault because I have a nasty habit of forgetting passwords that I don't change often (I often change my user password on several things)- I also use a combination of numbers, letters and symbols- and I make it quite long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a precaution do not advocate the use of FileVault. Folk forget the password and that leads to huge problems that not even the install DVD will get you out of.

OP
C
Reaction score
As a precaution do not advocate the use of FileVault. Folk forget the password and that leads to huge problems that not even the install DVD will get you out of.

Hence why I said I'm afraid of using it. I don't like it, but I don't really need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Paranoid much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
As for me personally, my Mac is Kensington-locked to a non-movable desk.

Those are pretty much useless, just throwing that out there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The joys of having a locked office...

OP
C
Reaction score
Those are pretty much useless, just throwing that out there.

True, but it does slow thieves down (provided they don't have a method of cutting the cable).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.