13" unibody original vertical lines in middle of screen (video of screen in post)

Reaction score
YouTube - Screen issue macbook 13 inch unibody first gen

This has been happening to my macbook for the last couple of weeks. I can make it stop by wiggling my screen around. I've noticed that the lubrication on the hinges on my screen seems to be drying up. When i open and close the lid it makes a cracking noise because the hinges don't move nicely like they used to. I was reminded by this because my friend recently purchased a new macbook and their hinges flow like butter, no noise or friction like mine. I don't know if this is causing the issue, its defiantly not helping it. Any ideas? Is it the screen, the graphics card, the ribbon cable, or what? I'm at a loss, and apple wants to charge me 280 bucks for a depot repair. Any thoughts are appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

The next time the vertical line appears, take a screenshot of your desktop. If the vertical line shows up in the screenshot, we can assume the problem is graphics related.

If it doesn't show up, then it will have something to do with either the LCD panel itself or the video cabling.

If your MacBook is not under warranty or Apple care, the repair for either can be expensive.

OP
T
Reaction score
So...

I understand it will be expensive to fix if I go to the apple store, but I guess what I'm asking is whether or not anyone has any information on how to fix it myself?!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try what Chscag suggested and take a quick Screen Shot when the issue is happening? You hit Command+Shift+3 and the pic will appear on the desktop. Look and see if that line is in the screen shot.

OP
T
Reaction score
There is no line when I take a screen shot. Just to confirm, you have seen what i'm talking about correct? I have a link to at youtube video of my laptop screen in my first post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iFixit should have a tutorial on how to change out the display panel and a place to purchase a new one. It would be a lot cheaper that way than going through Apple. I will try and find the URL and come back and update this post.

Wow, the display is not cheap even there. I found some other places that were around $200 but I don't know anything about them. iFixit you can trust. They have a tutorial URL on this page also.

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Display-Assembly/IF163-001

I hope this helps. Also I hope I got the right macbook model. If not let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.