Macbook plugged in & connected, but not charging

M

magic88

Hi there,

In the last few months I have been having trouble charging my Macbook (Early 2008). My computer is about 2 and a half years old.

When I plug in my Macbook with the MagSafe power adapter, the little light that is supposed to show up green or red usually does not show up at all. Sometimes the light shows up green when it is not fully charged.

Also, when my Macbook is plugged in, it does not usually start charging, though the charge on the battery will stay static. For example, I have been using my Macbook for the last 3 hours. Even though it's plugged in, the charge on the battery is still at 38%.

I have tried shutting down my computer, popping out the battery, and then putting the battery back in. This allowed me to start charging my computer one time, but it obviously did not fix the problem. One time I held my Macbook and shook it up and down a couple of times, and when I plugged it in again, it started charging.

Here is my hardware information:

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f0
Serial Number (system): W8823SXA0P1
Hardware UUID: 9925BAB9-883A-5871-ADB9-71AD1063C304
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

and here is the Power information:

Battery Information:
Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-ASMB016-38ba-2f09
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0002
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0200
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 1833
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4791
Health Information:
Cycle count: 58
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 11555

System Power Settings:
AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:
UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:
Connected: Yes
Charging: No

Does this just mean I need a new battery, or is this something more serious?

I would really appreciate some help, as I am really dependent on my laptop for school work.

Thank you in advance,

Kendra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Welcome to the forums. If you have an Apple store nearby it would be quicker for them to diagnose the problem since it doesn't sound like you have a new battery or battery charger to test. If you haven't already you should back up your laptop to an external hard drive before taking it to Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free "coconut battery.app" from here, run it, and post a screenshot of it with your reply.

It's likely you need a new battery, but let's see what coconut battery says first.

OP
M

magic88

Thanks, EndlessMac and chscag. I have downloaded Coconut Battery.

Picture 1.png

I guess there's nothing wrong with my battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I had a feeling that it might not have been your battery when you said that you did actually get it charge after doing some of the things you mentioned above. If you have a friend with a similar charger then you can try theirs to see if it's your charger that's the problem.

I didn't want you to buy a new battery or charger just to test what your problem was. This is why I mentioned going into the Apple store. They will probably let you test it for free but they will charge for any service.

If the problem is not the battery or charger then the issue will have to be inside your laptop itself which you will need Apple to service.

OP
M

magic88

the coneeirs

Oops, I forgot to mention that I tried using my friend's charger, and the same thing happened.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll bring it to Apple.

Reaction score
i saw this thread and did not want to start another one for the a similar problem hope thats ok.

I bought a new battery (not from the apple store, but from ebay) and its not charging, the light on my charger stays green and the battery icon says 0%, i dont think its the charger because right not i have the battery out and i only have the charger connected. Here is the screen shop that i got from coconutbattery

also the charger is not from the apple store either

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Is a Pro Tools 10 problem related

When I have Pro Tools running I see the "Not Charging" message, but when I leave PT the % Battery charging (and the orange light) work fine...

?

Seems like a PT problem for me :S :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
When I have Pro Tools running I see the "Not Charging" message, but when I leave PT the % Battery charging (and the orange light) work fine...

?

Seems like a PT problem for me :S :Grimmace:

No, YOU simply have exceeded the chargers capacity with your systems power consumption. By design, apple portables will go on battery when voltage requirements exceed the (relatively low wattage) output capacity of the power supplies. In short, you have no problem, it is simply working as designed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.