Copying Photos

Reaction score
I want to give hundreds of my photos to a family member - they have a windows PC. How do I get to the physical files on the hard drive - I access them through iPhoto but have no idea where the actual files are? Also we spoke about the transfer mechanism - copy them to DVD or USB transfer. Is a USB transfer possible (how is it done)?

C

chas_m

1. Create folder on desktop or somewhere.
2. In iPhoto, select the photos you want to copy.
3. Drag selected photos to folder on desktop.

That's it, you're done. Just burn that folder or put it on a USB thumb drive and give that to your relative. Simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
How do I get to the physical files on the hard drive - I have no idea where the actual files are?

To answer your question directly, and for future reference, the photos are stored in User > Pictures > iPhoto Library (or My Pictures).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try not to mess around with the iPhoto library. It's better to let iPhoto manage it and use the method outlined by chas above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.