Paper 2 virus?

Reaction score
I just installed virus protection and it says I have an infected Paper 2.pdf file that I cannot delete from my trash. Anyone know what is going on or how I get rid of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You do not have a virus that can harm your Mac, as none exist. If it is a real virus, it could be passed on to a Windows user.

What "virus protection" do you have installed? Since there is not a single virus that can infect your Mac, you don't need anti-virus software to protect it. Most Mac users do not have any AV software. Some will say that the AV SW can protect you against other malware, such as trojans or spyware, but if you're careful (don't do dangerous things) it's not needed for that either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably don't have a virus as there are none in the wild which infect OS X. Which AV program did you install? Reboot and try to delete the file again. Also, did you open the PDF file and read what's in it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It could also be a Windows virus

Reaction score
If you bought Norton, save yourself from the headaches. Just do it.

OP
L
Reaction score
I installed BitDefender. It took three hours to run the first scan which told me I have several trojans, etc going on. Blew my mind. I have had my mac for about 5 yrs and just recently started to get paranoid. So...it says it is an Exploit pdf. I have restored my permissions..nothing..still can't delete. When I try to empty my trash it says...I do not have sufficient privileges to delete??? Really??? Everything else is gone that was a threat...just not this stupid pdf..:Shouting:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could also be a Windows virus

That's a good point. It certainly can be an infected PDF file with a Windows virus which of course does not have any effect on your Mac.

@Leslie0120

Did you try to open the PDF file and see what it contains? Also, you might try doing a "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder. Let us know if that works.

OP
L
Reaction score
ok..you guys left me. Come back! Anything I can do, should I not worry? blah blah blah

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks chscag! I did try a secure empty several times. Turns out the file is a paper my son wrote on his PC (with no protection) and sent it to my mac to print out. Could there be a virus attached to it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, there certainly can be some sort of a Windows virus or malware that's associated with that particular PDF file.

Let's try the "Force Empty Trash" program. It's free.

Let us know if that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
L
Reaction score
I looked it up and saw that. So I was confused. I do know that viruses can attach themselves to all kinds of nonsense so that was why I was concerned. And..the fact that I couldn't delete it. I appreciate all the help from everyone ...thank you!

OP
L
Reaction score
I heard there was a free program to delete doubles of pics and anything else on a mac...space maker if you will....do you know of that download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
Perhaps I am missing something, but I looked at bitdefender.com and only found anti-virus programs for Microsoft operating systems.

Is it even possible to download and install such an AV program in a Mac computer?

Larry H

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're looking in the wrong place. Look here for the Mac version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.