Time machine & Windows help please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15, 2.4GHz i5, 4Gb RAM, 320GBHD
Heya,

New member here - I've just bought myself a MBP 15" (2.4GHz i5) and a 1TB seagate external HDD for backups.

I need to install windows on there too although I'm not sure which version to go for - I have access to legit boot disks of;

Win 7 pro (32 or 64 bit)
Vista Business SP2 (32 bit)
XP pro SP3 (32 bit)

I need it to run Visual Studio 2010 (again, any version - I have all of them!) as I've just started a computing degree and this is a core program for my course! I also need to use Select SSADM but from what I can gather, this doesn't run on Win 7 - tbh though I could live without that one if there's another benefit to running Win7!!!

I've already done a time machine backup to my external, but I wondered if there's a way to partition it so that I can store photo's on there instead of on the MBP and still be able to use the rest for TM?

Lots of questions I know, and probably not the last but any help would be very appreciated!

Muchos gracias! :D

*edit* Forgot to add - I plan on buying either parallels or fusion, but no idea which would be "better" for me?!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Time Machine: Yes, you can store data and the TM backup on the same partition. Some folks recommend creating two partitions. But, I've been backing up 2 Macs and a portion of my iTunes music library on a drive with a single partition for 3 years now with no ill effect.

You need to understand, if your photos are only stored on that external drive and it dies, you have lost all your pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If a piece of software doesn't work on Windows 7 then Windows 7 is out no? XP is still a fine OS - I still run it on my business system. You could try running windows xp mode in windows 7 for that one program. I would try loading it on 7 directly first though.
Windows 7 Features: Windows XP Mode
Windows 7 is also safer from a malware/virus/installer standpoint as it implemented UAC (and a few other things).

It is best to keep your time machine backup separate from data. You can partition it and assign 1 partition to time machine and the rest to data. That is simple enough to do from disk utility.

Parallels or Fusion both work. I tried fusion again but I still find Parallels 6 to be more responsive than Fusion 3.1.1 Some people here like Fusion better.

Anyway - Go with Windows 7 first and there are plenty of deals to be had on both VMWare and Parallels. I like these guys
VMware Fusion 3 for the Mac - The most seam... (FUS3ENGMCP) at OWC

Note - if you buy 1 other item Parallels is $50 - (if you don't need anything go get a $2 cable)
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac - Run windows alongs... (PD6FM) at OWC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I had the same setup as Bob actually - I had a TC with music, photos, video and my TM backups. Ran out of room for both - so I moved my TM backup which turned out to be 640GB - not an easy task. Anyway It is because of this that I recommend setting up different partitions so you don't have to move around massive files. If you get a big enough hard drive maybe it is a moot point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.