iTunes 10.0.1 (22) high CPU usage and BBOD

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm running OSX 10.5.8 on a 2.1Ghz PowerPC G5. It's up to date and the version of iTunes is 10.0.1 (22)

I'm experiencing problems with iTunes. Sometimes soon after starting I get the BBOD . The BBOD can run for 20 minutes soon after startup.

I have also noticed very high CPU activity for this process from 30-40% even if no music is playing.

Some of my Music that is managed by iTunes is not local but accessed via SMB from a Mybook World NAS device. My Mac mounts the directory and this music has been imported into iTunes but I have disabled the copy to iTunes box. My suspicion is that the problem may be connected as during one of these BBOD episodes the NAS disk light is flashing, and no other users are accessing the device. I have seen this happen on many occasions, I don't think it's another process.

I gathered a 3 second sample of the iTunes process (while heavy cpu use) from the OSX activity monitor but I don't really know how to interpret it.

Any suggestions on how to debug these iTunes problems.

in the past I have had periods of iTunes problems which seem to have been rectified through auto updates. Some time back it would cease to respond and I was not able to Force Quite the process (The iTunes tray icon always had the white triangle beneath it). from a shell the process appeared to be stuck existing and owned by init i.e PPID = 1. Only a reboot would get me out of this state.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.