Help please! Transferring iPod music to iTunes

Reaction score
Help please!

My macbook pro was stolen from my house (as was my external hard drive where I had all my music backed up). I had my iPod with me at the time so fortunately I still have all my music.

However, I want to update my library to have fresh music to listen to, so I need to transfer the music files from my 80GB iPod classic onto the computer I'm currently using, a first generation MacBook with OS 10.5.8.

Advice from Apple support only works if you have the original computer.

I've searched other places and found some free software, but haven't had luck with either YamiPod, which doesn't work with my version of iTunes, or Senuti, which only allows the transfer of 1000 songs (I have over 5000).

I spent considerable time and money building my music library, and would prefer to switch it over for free. I'm already out over a thousand dollars for the macbook that was stolen, so spending money to transfer my iPod music just adds insult to injury.

Please let me know if you are aware of any user-friendly, free, mac compatible software that can transfer my iPod music to a new computer without having access to the original computer.

I'd also just like to add that when I was robbed I also lost all my PhD research. It has been a devastating few weeks and I believe that recovering my music and having control over my iPod and iTunes library is a small step in the right direction.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

If you download an application called 'Bodega' which is free, there is an application on there called iPod Ripper, also free. I have never used it so don't know how good it is but it's free and worth a shot.

Good luck with everything!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.