• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to discontinue Xserve after Jan. 31, 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple to discontinue Xserve after Jan. 31, 2011
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/11/05/apple_to_discontinue_xserve_after_jan_31_2011.html
Apple this week announced the discontinuation of Xserve, revealing it will support but no longer offer its rackmounted servers after Jan. 31, 2011.

Apple offers new Mac Pro Server configuration to replace Xserve
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...o_server_configuration_to_replace_xserve.html
Apple on Friday added a new server option to its Mac Pro lineup Friday, with a $2,999 system that is designed to replace the Xserve hardware which will be discontinued in early 2011.

Reaction score
Well instead of three servers, one of which isn't seeing decent sales, now we're seeing two servers- one of which can easily be purchased by consumers for home use, and one that can be used in a Mac lab.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well I read up the spec comparisons (standard configurations). And the Xserve has a better form factor, a little more power consumption and Lights Out Management. But apart from those 2 little things the Mac Pro is way better. And this is at the same price point. $2999US each for both. So yeah if you need a work horse server, the Mac Pro is a better option.

But for the little servers, the Mac Mini Server at $999US is a pretty good deal too. Apple thought this out. Xserve not selling well, become slowly outdated compared to the Mac Pro and always consolidating their product lines meant the Xserve had to go. But don't cry for it really. As the Mac Pro for the same price point is way better. You just need a little more space for it. But considering Xserve is only 160GB and the Mac Pro is 2x 1TB hard drives, you'd need 12 Xserves to equal the 2TB of space the standard config Mac Pro has.

In short the Xserve is old technology. And for the same price the Mac Pro is much better. So really there are no losers here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
They were in a market where the xserve didn't do to well because it's os was good, but the xserve is getting old in an time when virtual servers are better. They can't get the os to run on other platforms due to liscensing. Also, I think it's a joke to even mention the mac mini as an option to the xserve! Their stats aren't even remotely close to the xserve's potential. The xserve is a powerhouse of a server(for apple) but it's getting old. The move to discontinue it is wrong, but if they don't know how to make a better server, then I guess there's nothing you can do. The only real problem with the mac pro is its rack mountability. There are some kits out for it, but that just creates access problems.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
XServe was not popular, it barely sold anything. I'd rather them kill of an unprofitable line and put that money and the developers to something more worthwhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point. :).

What if they could of made something better? They just ended it completely...they could of said they were putting it off for now...

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Xserve is dead. But they said nothing about a Xserve replacement with a different name. But I think from what I read Apple wants the replacement to be Mac Pros. And most Apple products are gone on the same day the upgraded product is released. No warning. I think this few months leeway we see from Apple on the Xserve is simply cause of the large backlog of Xserves Apple needs to sell.

Reaction score
Doe this signal the end to OSX server too? Maybe the first step in getting out of the server market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Doe this signal the end to OSX server too? Maybe the first step in getting out of the server market.

It's worth nothing that there has been no announcement of a Lion Server, only a workstation version.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's worth nothing that there has been no announcement of a Lion Server, only a workstation version.

This could mean:
1. There is no Server Lion
2. The workstation version is the server version just renamed
3. The standard version has all of the server features in it for the one low price.

If I was a betting man I'd probably put my money on number 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or they just didn't bother to announce it yet, since it was primarily a consumer oriented announcement?

The didn't announce SL server when the announced SL or Leopard server when they announced Leopard...

You need to consider your audience.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I really like the opinions of this article.

Basically, that Apple might be considering to abandon enterprise business in favor of small business. Which the article explains that it may not be a bad idea, being that there are more small businesses than enterprise ones.

And being that Apple is building that behemoth of a data center in North Carolina that we might be seeing Apple offering cloud services to businesses. These services would include file, web, wiki, calendar, and mail, etc, etc.

Nobody really mentioned them in this discussion, just wondering what others thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or they just didn't bother to announce it yet, since it was primarily a consumer oriented announcement?

The didn't announce SL server when the announced SL
Yes they did. It wasn't part of the show-and-tell speech, but the feature list went up on the Apple website.

Apple - Mac OS X Server
That's from June 19, 2008. Notice the Snow Leopard Server link at the bottom.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Small business do not need rack mounted server farms. Just 1 Mac Pro or in many instances a Mac Mini Server will do. And a whole small business can be run from that. And factor in the less IT maintenance costs and the works, The Mac Pro/Mini Server becomes some very cost effective ways to manage the business.

I'm sure Apple has thought of all of this already though.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alleged Steve Jobs e-mail says 'hardly anyone' was buying Apple's Xserves
AppleInsider | Alleged Steve Jobs e-mail says 'hardly anyone' was buying Apple's Xserves
When pressed by a user on Apple's recent decision to cancel its Xserve line of rackmounted servers, Chief Executive Steve Jobs allegedly revealed that "hardly anyone" was buying the hardware.

If this email is to be beleived then we have a very solid reason to why the Xserve was discontinued. Nothing to do with Apple caning the server editions, just a simple lack of sales.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alleged Steve Jobs e-mail says 'hardly anyone' was buying Apple's Xserves
AppleInsider | Alleged Steve Jobs e-mail says 'hardly anyone' was buying Apple's Xserves

If this email is to be beleived then we have a very solid reason to why the Xserve was discontinued. Nothing to do with Apple caning the server editions, just a simple lack of sales.
I don't doubt that he's correct. Xserve was undoubtedly the lowest-selling line.

But that doesn't say much for or against the idea that OS X Server development will continue.

Apple may come out with Lion server, or it may continue to sell and update Snow Leopard server well into the future. (I could see Apple doing every-other milestone releases of Server and just doing security updates in between.) It's impossible to do anything but guess there have been no announcements. Compared to any other major IT vendor, Apple is the most secretive and provides the least notice of when products will be unsupported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Likewise the Leopard Server "Sneak Peek" in August 2006
Apple - Leopard Server Sneak Peek

Wow, it must be hard to be right all the time huh? ;)

But I still stand by the fact until Apple says they're killing their sever software, there's no point in worrying about it.

Of course that mean you may not be able to do "real work" once Lion comes out. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.