Adding Terminal Option to Right Click On Desktop

Reaction score
I like how CentOS and pretty much any Linux distro I can right-click anywhere on the desktop, and have the option to open a terminal. Is there a way to add this option to the Mac OS right click menu option repertoire? I know this may not be in the right place, but this seems to be the Linux expert forum for Mac.

Thanks,
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Why not just pin the terminal program to the dock? Then just click the dock icon.

You could also add X11 to the dock if you have the xcode tools installed to run a true x11 terminal.

Lastly there is this nifty program
Download ShellHere 1.0.5 Free - Open a new Terminal window from Finder - Softpedia
which will open a terminal in the directory that your finder is currently in.

I don't know if there is a way to add it as a right click option.

Truthfully in Linux I used a Quicksilver clone to launch everything - on Mac Quicksilver is how I launch everything
Blacktree

Reaction score
Use Automator

I like how CentOS and pretty much any Linux distro I can right-click anywhere on the desktop, and have the option to open a terminal. Is there a way to add this option to the Mac OS right click menu option repertoire? I know this may not be in the right place, but this seems to be the Linux expert forum for Mac.

Thanks,
J

Hey jwillis0720,

You can use Automator to do this. Open Automator, then select New Service. Add to the workflow the item "Run Applescript." In the box, type the following code:

____
tell Application "Terminal"
make new document
end tell
____

Then save this service as "Open new Terminal Window".

Now when you right click, voilà!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.