Recover Emptied Trash (Less than five minutes have gone by...)

Reaction score
Hi all

I was cleaning up some Downloads folder files and threw about 100 items in the Trash. As soon as I was finished, I emptied Trash and, as soon as the progress bar appeared, I realized that I had a website mock-up that I accidentally saved in a Downloads subfolder. It's been about three minutes since I made this error.

I know that OSX doesn't really delete the file but rather redirects the information to be written over. Is there a way to help Mac "remember" where that one file is?

I'd like to avoid costly software as I am great at backing things up and will need to do this only once. I just wasn't paying attention like I should have been (pre-coffee).

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'd like to avoid costly software as I am great at backing things up and will need to do this only once.

Sorry. There's not a button to push or click that will bring those back. You do need expensive recovery software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.