sharing an external drive

Reaction score
Hello,
I feel a bit dumb, but after years of getting along without really understanding, I feel I need to get to the basics of file sharing and permissions now.

We have a small office, and use a MacMini (10.6.4 Client) to serve files. Those files are in a folder called 'data' on an external drive.

The Mini has two users set up, 'admin' and 'user'. I want everyone to log in via AFP as 'user' to access the 'data' folder.

Until now our setup was a 10.4 machine, with the third-party application Sharepoints by Hornware managing the sharing. Now with 10.6 I know I should be able to do without that.

I've removed all user's Public folders from the System Preferences/Sharing pane, and added the 'data' folder. I've added the 'user' user to it, and have given it read/write access. Also, I've done the same for the 'admin' user.

Now I'm unsure if I need to change permissions to the 300GB worth of files on that external drive. (that's question #1.)
If I look at those files from a client machine, logged in as 'user', Finder tells me they belong to 'unknown'.

Question #2: If I understand correctly, the settings on the server's Sharing preferences pane only apply for ACCESS to the shared folder (i.e. they make it possible to log in via AFP). These settings don't do anything to ownership and permissions on the shared files, right? (not sure here!)

Grateful if anybody can shed light on this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.