• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

new video card

S

supremeoverlord

I don't know if this is the proper place but...
What is the difference between the new video card in the new ibook revision and the old one? Does anybody know?
Thanks

P.S. Macs rock

Reaction score
The new one will support Tigers Core Image features for image editing. Its just a newer faster GPU.

OP
I

iMe

mynameis said:
The new one will support Tigers Core Image features for image editing. Its just a newer faster GPU.
I know nothing about video cards, but does that mean that the new iBooks can the little "ripple" effect on dashboard and such.....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If what mynameis says is correct, then yes...

But the new card isn't on the list of core image compatible devices, so I think we'll have to wait and see...

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9650, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

Reaction score
Mac N00b said:
Isn't this a brand new card though?

New to the iBook, the Radeon 9550 has been around awhile though.

I have no idea what the ripple effect of dashboard is, anyone want to elaborate?

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
If what mynameis says is correct, then yes...

But the new card isn't on the list of core image compatible devices, so I think we'll have to wait and see...

Ooops, I thought it was on the list, my bad, if it isn't on the that list then it probably isn't supported..

OP
R

ryanyogan

This card is still an old peace of crap, come on now notebooks are coming with 256mb radeon 9800 mobility cards as a standard card now, even intels integrated graphics are 64mb's of non shared memory. 32mb's is iffy it will allow for the ripple effect, one thing that bothers me about apple is there choice of video cards, I hope they adopt SLI and much better mobile cards when they switch to intel. If they are indeed the best solution for graphic artist, welllll where is the better GPU's...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read someone that this card is just a underclocked version of the 9600, in which case it should also support the effect I suppose, since the hardware is the same.

Reaction score
To the normal user what differences would I notice or with what type of software would I notice a difference between;
32mb 9550 in ibook
64mb Go5200 in powerbook 12"
64mb 9700 in powerbook 15"

Will it make any difference to everyday uses and would it affect picture or light video editing (e.g i-life or at most final cut). If so how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
supremeoverlord said:
I don't know if this is the proper place but...
What is the difference between the new video card in the new ibook revision and the old one? Does anybody know?
Thanks

P.S. Macs rock

I did just a bit of research on the 9550, and it turns out this card is basically a variant of the Radeon 9600. It's superior to the 9600SE in that it has a 128bit bus (9600SE has 64bit), but it is clocked lower (about 40% slower) than a 9600pro. It is based on the same r350/r360 core as the 9600pro and has the same feature set.

I see no reason why this card wouldnt support the new core features of OS X tiger, as it is basically another Radeon 9600 variant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ryanyogan said:
This card is still an old peace of crap, come on now notebooks are coming with 256mb radeon 9800 mobility cards as a standard card now, even intels integrated graphics are 64mb's of non shared memory. 32mb's is iffy it will allow for the ripple effect, one thing that bothers me about apple is there choice of video cards, I hope they adopt SLI and much better mobile cards when they switch to intel. If they are indeed the best solution for graphic artist, welllll where is the better GPU's...

Name brand laptops in this price range, even PCs, don't have radeon 9800s with 256MB of video RAM. Looking at CompUSA's 12-14" laptops, the very first one without integrated graphics is the iBook at 999. The next one is 1099 (on sale / $200 rebate) and has a Radeon 9600 / 32MB. The next one w/o integrated from there is the $1300 iBook 14". You're looking at $1500 or so for a modern non-integrated GPU with 64+ MB VRAM, and the PowerBook is competitive in that price range.

I own a PC laptop with integrated graphics and an Athlon XP 2000+; my iBook 1.2 G4 is much faster in any screen I/O.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
lonerider said:
Read the small print :
$523 Instant Savings with Coupon Code 33PVGDWQDP4VWJ and $200 Mail-in Rebate.]
Expires 07/27/05 or after first 1,000 units are sold!

So... $1100, $200 Rebate, still $900...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
So... $1100, $200 Rebate, still $900...

I was really referring to the 7/27/05 or for first 1000 units sold part.

What I'm saying is, that price is not reflective of the industry as a whole. It is just a marketing gimmick to get people to their website. If apple were to sell 1000 iBooks at 599, would you then tell us that the iBook was in general a good deal? The 599 price really wouldn't matter to the other 99.999% of the people who buy iBooks now would it?

Reaction score
lonerider said:
that price is not reflective of the industry as a whole.

You can pretty much always find good deals on PC laptops, you can also always find really bad deals. You can easily find a PC laptop with non-integrated graphics for $1000 or less. You can get a Dell 600m 14in for $850 right now with 64mb Radeon graphics, but that is a sale pric, $250 off instant. Dells products always have some kind of promotion going, even though it is for a limited time, after they run out a new one always starts.

OP
R

ryanyogan

The 12" is ok I suppose but the 14" is not a sub $1,000 notebook, and as much as I love apple you can not argue that there are some aspects of the iBook that just need to be beefed up. Perhaps giving the iBooks the GPU's in the powerbooks and updating the powerbooks to something that really cooks. You will find most intel/amd notebooks that are from 999 - 1,500 are coming with much better gpu's these days. At the bare minimum cards with 64 - 128 dedicated mb's of memory. The new intel extreme 2 chips in stores right now are shared I believe, and within the next 2 months they are coming with dedicated memory. I'm sorry but 32mb's just doesnt cut it these days for anything other than email/word/and basic computing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.