What could they have done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Ok guys, bear with me hear - bit of a paranoid android....

So...

A friend of a friend type person (who I don't trust - at all) was in my home today with a few others I know.

He seen I had gotten a new mac - which he says he doesn't know the first thing about.

He had his iphone today & it came about that he got connected to my router after I typed the password into his iphone & added his device to my mac filtering thing (which I have now removed).

He only messed about with his iphone for 10 mins or so, perhaps he was just reading the internet, I don't know as I couldn't see what he was up to.

He is pretty clued up on networking & what Id like to know is, could he have altered my router in anyway (as he had access to my network) so he can see what I'm doing on my imac this evening tomorrow, next week etc etc? :Confused:

Bit of a strange one I know, but he is beyond crafty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He is pretty clued up on networking & what Id like to know is, could he have altered my router in anyway (as he had access to my network) so he can see what I'm doing on my imac this evening tomorrow, next week etc etc? :Confused:

Bit of a strange one I know, but he is beyond crafty.

If it was his intention to mess around with your network...then he most definitely could have changed some settings. Many router configuration pages can be accessed via a webpage address...and if he knew what webpage address your router uses...then he could have accessed your routers configuration page.

At the same time...you can put password protection on your routers configuration page...so if you had that in place...then he probably couldn't access it. If you really feel that he may have messed with something. Check the settings for your router...and password protect it (or change the password).

Odds are he was just doing some quick surfing via his iPhone...but if you suspect something else...do what you have to do.

HTH,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is your admin page on your router password protected? If so, he wouldn't have been able to change any settings unless he cracked it but I doubt he could do that from an iPhone unless there are apps through Cydia that allow people to do this (sure wouldn't be in the App Store).

Best thing - check your router settings if you're paranoid (great Radiohead reference by the way) or if you didn't change your password. Perhaps the best question is - do you really think he did anything?

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it was his intention to mess around with your network...then he most definitely could have changed some settings. Many router configuration pages can be accessed via a webpage address...and if he knew what webpage address your router uses...then he could have accessed your routers configuration page.

Yeah, Im sure he would know this. I think he has the same router.

At the same time...you can put password protection on your routers configuration page...so if you had that in place...then he probably couldn't access it. If you really feel that he may have messed with something. Check the settings for your router...and password protect it (or change the password).

I do have it password protected & I checked the router log for any activity when he left. I didn't see any login attempts. BUT... He is always up to something. He probably knows how to do it without the router logging it lol

Odds are he was just doing some quick surfing via his iPhone...but if you suspect something else...do what you have to do.

What things could I do I wonder? :Confused: I understand a few things, but now sure what to do now.

HTH,

- Nick[/QUOTE]

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your admin page on your router password protected? If so, he wouldn't have been able to change any settings unless he cracked it but I doubt he could do that from an iPhone unless there are apps through Cydia that allow people to do this (sure wouldn't be in the App Store).

Best thing - check your router settings if you're paranoid (great Radiohead reference by the way) or if you didn't change your password. Perhaps the best question is - do you really think he did anything?

Cheers for that. I think he has done stuff before via "man in the middle" attacks (via his laptop when I had a PC), he is a rare boy :Mischievous:

Perhaps I should just change my router login password? Anything else I can check in my router settings I wonder?

Cheers for the help guys, greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What things could I do I wonder? :Confused: I understand a few things, but now sure what to do now.

What I meant was...if your router's configuration or admin page wasn't password protected...then password protect it. And if you already have it password protected...then maybe change it to a more complicated password (more digits or combination of numbers & letters).

Also remember...when you log into your home network...the window that you log into has a "check box" that says..."remember this network". This way you don't have to type in your password every time you log in.

I know that you said that you typed your networks password into this guys iPhone...so maybe you're ok this time...but there may be a time that you do this...and somehow this guy will get permanent access to your network if the appropriate box is checked.

If this guy is so "dodgy" or distrustful...maybe you shouldn't give him access to your network. I know that you may not want to offend him or your mutual friends...but sometimes you gotta draw the line somewhere if this guy is causing you stress.

- Nick

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I meant was...if your router's configuration or admin page wasn't password protected...then password protect it. And if you already have it password protected...then maybe change it to a more complicated password (more digits or combination of numbers & letters).

Also remember...when you log into your home network...the window that you log into has a "check box" that says..."remember this network". This way you don't have to type in your password every time you log in.

I know that you said that you typed your networks password into this guys iPhone...so maybe you're ok this time...but there may be a time that you do this...and somehow this guy will get permanent access to your network if the appropriate box is checked.

If this guy is so "dodgy" or distrustful...maybe you shouldn't give him access to your network. I know that you may not want to offend him or your mutual friends...but sometimes you gotta draw the line somewhere if this guy is causing you stress.

- Nick

The guy lives 50 miles away from me, I rarely see him. Unfortunatley he would almost be classed as my brother in law. :Angry-Tongue:

Doubly unfortunatley I don't think I could ever say "no, you are a dodgy little imp & I cant let you on the network". He probably only comes to my house twice a year.

So, it is possible? He could connect to my network while at my home & have all round year access to my internet/activity from his home 50 miles away?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're being much too paranoid. Just ensure that everything is password protected and has security set. If it would give you peace of mind, change your passwords.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1, Keep him out of your house.

2. Keep him away from your Mac.

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Yeah, Im sure he would know this. I think he has the same router.

Its not that difficult to do then as on certain routers the details including logins are the same.

Netgear even print this on the bottom of their routers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Almost every good router I have owned at least has a default password that the hacker would have to know to get in. If he knows your brand of router, then he would know that default password.

Since you said you had changed the password, I really doubt he could do a thing to the router in the 10 minutes you say he was accessing it with his iPhone. So I doubt he did a thing to the router.

Another thing you can do for more protection in the future is, most routers have a setting to keep WiFi users from logging into the router and changing settings. On some it's LAN only can administer. That would keep anyone that was not hard wired to the router from logging in even if they could figure out the password.

Like others have said, I doubt he did a thing so dont' worry.

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ever so much guys for all the help & answers. Very much appreciated indeed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.