iLife 11

Reaction score
I am a Mac user and am a big fan of iLife. When I noticed the latest and greatest upgrade iLife 11 I was ready buy, however I have noticed several negative comments about iPhoto. Has anyone else had trouble?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I updated as soon as it was up for update on the website. I haven't had any problems so far.

It would be nice to be a little bit more specific about what problems you are talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My only concern with upgrading right now is that iPhoto Library Manager doesn't seem to work with it yet. I have a really large photo collection and I had to split it up into multiple libraries, so I need to wait until Library Manager is updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I love the new iPhoto. There are some quirks and bugs, but nothing too and and I'm sure most will be addressed quickly.

C

chas_m

iPhoto as shipped with iLife 11 had some bugs, one serious one that MIGHT affect some users (didn't affect everyone) that could cause a loss of photos, so I'd suggest the following.

1. As is a good idea before doing ANY major update, backup your stuff.
2. As of today, Apple updated iPhoto to 9.1 (they had a 9.0.1 update to fix the bug I referred to above out a couple of days ago). So when you do install iLife '11, run software update BEFORE you open the program(s) for the first time.

That should do the trick. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I had trouble with iphoto, when I *first* installed it, but now everything is perfectly fine. It's as if the computer had a learning curve with it! I also didn't lose any of my photos, face names, or locations.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank

Thanks so much for the replies. I was concerned about the negative comments on the Apple web site of people who bought iLife 11. The biggest concern I had was loosing my 19,000 + photo's. I do back up and will right before the upgrade

Reaction score
I've had no problem what so ever. However, I keep a master folder of all images seperate from iPhoto.

C

chas_m

My one complaint about the new iPhoto so far is that when I choose to edit a photo in an external editor (say Photoshop), iPhoto now makes a duplicate of the photo FIRST whereas before it didn't make one at all (which I preferred).

I understand Apple's rationale here -- extra safety -- but would still like to defeat it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The only thing I've found is that the Flickr and Facebook syncing seems a little flaky, although I haven't done much since I updated to 9.1 so maybe that fixed it.

Other than that, I like it enough that I've switched back to iPhoto from Aperture. Aperture is a great program, but a little overkill for my needs. iPhoto '11 and Pixelmator doe the job just fine for me.

Pug

Reaction score
iLife11

I had no problems with iLife. As this thread suggested, I did the software update before opening iPhoto. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It works fine here. My only complaint is that previously, when in an event and looking at a single photo, I could click on the photo and be taken back to the tile view of all photos in the event. The new version either doesn't do this, or I haven't found whatever preference needs to be selected to enable this behavior. Currently, I have to click on the "arrow" in the upper left that has the event's name to be taken back to the tile view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iPhoto 11 is fairly slow for me - which is not necessarily a new complaint, but still...

C

chas_m

Aptmunich: Yes, I've notice this too in certain operations -- like building a calendar -- it's definitely slower than the old one. Of course, I have (had, actually, just upgraded) only 2GB of RAM, and my machine is just a MacBook from 2007, so kind of low-end by today's standards.

Luckily, I plan on replacing it with a nice refurb'd 15-inch i5 early next year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Aptmunich: Yes, I've notice this too in certain operations -- like building a calendar -- it's definitely slower than the old one. Of course, I have (had, actually, just upgraded) only 2GB of RAM, and my machine is just a MacBook from 2007, so kind of low-end by today's standards.

Luckily, I plan on replacing it with a nice refurb'd 15-inch i5 early next year.
I'm running it on a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM. My photo library is on my internal 5400rpm harddrive though, not my SSD, so I think that's probably the main bottleneck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.