How many people can download Snow Leopard off of one disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just bought snow leopard, and after splitting the cost with a friend we both downloaded the OS off of a single disc. Now I have a couple other friends who would like to download as well. Does anyone know how many people can download Snow Leopard off of one disc? Is there a limit at which the disc won't let anyone download, or will it continue to be available?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just bought snow leopard, and after splitting the cost with a friend we both downloaded the OS off of a single disc. Now I have a couple other friends who would like to download as well. Does anyone know how many people can download Snow Leopard off of one disc? Is there a limit at which the disc won't let anyone download, or will it continue to be available?

One computer/disc. If you & your friend have used the same disk...then you are in violation of Apple's EULA.

There is a "Family Pack" disc...that allows installation on up to 5 computers...but all 5 computers & people...must reside under the same roof.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
One computer/disc. If you & your friend have used the same disk...then you are in violation of Apple's EULA.

Actually it's bigger than EULA, it's illegal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually it's bigger than EULA, it's illegal.

I was going to say "illegal" as well...but I couldn't remember the exact "position" Mac-Forums had on making or enforcing illegal claims...so I didn't want to overstate things.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There is a "Family Pack" disc...that allows installation on up to 5 computers...but all 5 computers & people...must reside under the same roof.

Well, not literally the same roof. I believe the term used is "members of the same household". That would include roommates, and also college students who have a different roof than Mom and Dad.

Problem with roommates sharing; they move. There's only one disc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, not literally the same roof. I believe the term used is "members of the same household". That would include roommates, and also college students who have a different roof than Mom and Dad.

Problem with roommates sharing; they move. There's only one disc.

Yes there are some "technicalities" with the Family pack. In this case (since the OP is talking about roommates & friends)...pretty sure the Family Pack wouldn't apply. And like you mentioned...roommates move & the "friends" I bet don't live in the same location.

Pretty sure we won't hear from the OP again!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
For $29 ea., cut out Starbucks for a week and afford to get your own copies of SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the bottom line is you are a pirate pure and simple if you copy the disc. Surprised the thread had not been slammed shut by our moderators.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes there are some "technicalities" with the Family pack. In this case (since the OP is talking about roommates & friends)...pretty sure the Family Pack wouldn't apply. And like you mentioned...roommates move & the "friends" I bet don't live in the same location.

I won't take the other side of that bet. Only "friends" are mentioned in the OP. Roommates can do it, but who gets the disc when they're no longer roommates? And you can bet the one(s) who do(es)n't won't uninstall.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'll take a thread cooked to well done, and... some steak fries on the side. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.