WiFi signal weak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 500GB 4GB RAM
I have a ATT U-verse router which is on the other side of my house and the signal must pass through about 4 plastered walls. According to iStumbler the connection strength is about 32%. What is the best way to boost this signal?

I am running an iMac OSX Snow Leopard.

Thanks ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Move the router closer or move computer closer to the router.

OP
iMACGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 500GB 4GB RAM
I'd love to put my home office is on the opposite side of my house from where the ATT internet cable comes into my house. Thanks for the quick response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
It has to go through the walls and stuff in order the get signal, therefore it degrades. Any way you can plug in another router or a switch where your iMac is? I had the same issue with my Xbox wireless so I went under my house, drilled through the floorboard, ran a Gigabit Ethernet cord from the main router, under the house, to a switch in my bedroom. I then plugged my xbox into the switch, and voila.

OP
iMACGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 500GB 4GB RAM
I once had a Cat-5 running through the crawl space but the heat of the summer (I live in Miami) destroyed the wire. I guess my best bet is to find an electronic gizmo to boost the signal. Thanks for your suggestion.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
According to iStumbler the connection strength is about 32%. What is the best way to boost this signal?

Thanks a ton for mentioning "iStumbler". I had not heard of it before...so I checked it out, downloaded it, and I'm now using it.:)

Where I'm located from my router (including some walls & 1 floor) my iStumbler signal strength varies from 41-44%. If I place my laptop 6 inches from my router...the iStumbler signal strength only goes to 75% (not sure why).

Bear in mind...my Apple airport signal strength indicator (up in the menu bar)...in both locations I mentioned shows full signal strength (far or close to the router).

So I'm thinking that the 32% you're getting may not be a bad as you may think.:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. What does your Apple airport signal strength indicator indicate?

OP
iMACGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 500GB 4GB RAM
Yea, iStumbler is neat. My signal strength indicator is all black - indicated excellent strength. However, my browser responses are slower than expected with a 12 mb connection to the Internet (via ATT Uverse).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you checked your actual upload\download speeds? An ISP advertised speed can be very different from what you're actually getting. See this LINK for a speed test and other info.

Slow browser response time can also be attributed to a slow DNS server but first check your actual up and down speeds.

You said that your CAT-5 cable deteriorated in Miami? Are you sure it wasn't all those vermin that crawl around unseen in the house that ate your cable? ;P I lived in Florida for two years... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
In the uk you can buy home network plugs that you plug into a power socket. These have cat5 Ethernet sockets in them and use the power wiring in the house as a network. Plug one in near the router and then another one in by your computer and away you go. Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.