• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel could release Light Peak technology in first half of 2011, Apple to follow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Intel could release Light Peak technology in first half of 2011, Apple to follow
AppleInsider | Intel could release Light Peak technology in first half of 2011, Apple to follow
Intel's Light Peak optical cabling technology is on track to make its first appearance in products in early 2011, with Apple expected to follow soon after, according to a new report.
Intel Light Peak rumored launching early, Apple a candidate
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/11/03/inte.light.peak.may.get.early.debut.apple.first/

And I think this is why Apple is not investing in USB 3. So expect imacs soon with lightpeak. Really I can't wait :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Makes me wonder what prices for first gen peripherals will be? But I'm glad I haven't bought an iMac yet, as this seems like an awesome bit of tech to wait for. Is there any theoretical data on what throughput speeds will be like vs the fastest FireWire?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've been waiting to see Lightpeak since they announced it a few years back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I can't wait for this to come out...though, I'm not sure how exactly it will be used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's neat stuff for wired connections like my Mini and it's external HDD. I'd imagine an external RAID of SSDs connected via LightPeak would make full backups a trivial chore at best. Still, without something like a working draft of 802.11ac or 802.11ad, LightPeak does nothing to speed up my laptop's backups over the network or it's streaming of media via wireless to ATV. And still, the internet isn't getting any faster (for me at least) until we get a decent fiber deployment to replace all the copper that connects the home to the ISP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.