Dedicated RAM with VM Fusion

Reaction score
When I dedicate 3GB's of RAM to VM Fusion, is that ONLY dedicated to VM when it is operating? In other words, if I am not using it, will those 3GB's of RAM be utilized by my Mac OS?

Also, I just installed and configured VM Fusion for Windows 7 but it says it needs drivers. I tried installing the Mac OS CD but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Thank you everyone.

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay, I ran set up again and no more drivers are necessary. Now........ Everything seems to be running but I am getting a pretty slow response from both sides now. Is this to be expected?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't believe the memory is going to be dedicated..

What Mac do you have and how much memory? I've got 4GB of memory and usually give my VM's 1GB and that seems to be OK..

Regards

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, actually, I made a mistake that I am happy I caught on my side. I have OS X 10.5 which according to Mac is not going to work with Windows 7.

So on to plan B:

I am going to bootcamp XP onto it and then use Fusion to access it. I will also split the GB's down the middle at 2 a piece. I will report back as soon as I have results. Thanks!

And I am impressed! Maybe it was Windows 7 with 10.5 but my Macbook was SUUUUPER sluggish. 1GB dedicated to Windows 7 sounds like a little.

Like I said, I will report back.

OP
R
Reaction score
I also intend to run Visual Studio on it so I think I am happier using XP since it is less of a resource hog.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you intend to run Visual Studio with XP via a VM from Fusion, I would definitely assign the VM 2 GB. Giving it only 1 GB would probably result in slower performance and paging.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you intend to run Visual Studio with XP via a VM from Fusion, I would definitely assign the VM 2 GB. Giving it only 1 GB would probably result in slower performance and paging.
Absolutely. VS requires quite a bit of memory. VS requires 1GB of memory (if you go with the 32-bit version) - this if you're using 2010 Pro. Note that the site says to, "add 512 MB if running in a virtual machine." So, you really need at least 1.5GB (again, if you're using 2010 Pro). What version of VS are you planning on using?

OP
R
Reaction score

Since opting for XP over 7, I have seen a huge increase in performance. I decided to go with 2 and 2.

I still haven't fooled around with VS yet but I will keep this thread posted with my findings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.