Another write privileges problem w/ iTunes

Reaction score
Ok - so I've been having this issue for a while and I've just now gotten around to seriously trying to remedy it.

About a third of my songs on iTunes are "grayed out"; the songs will still play, but when I go to 'Get Info', I can't edit any of the information - disc number, artist, album, etc. It's all grayed & I can't click to make any changes. This all happened after I had the folks at the Apple Store transfer my library from my old computer to this new Macbook when I switched over from Windows to Mac OSX a few years back. In addition, when I try to rip music from select CDs, I get that pesky pop-up that says that I "don't have write access for your iTunes Media folder or a folder within it."

All of my music files are stored under iTunes > iTunes Music folder (no "Media" folder, so I've no idea where they're getting that from... I'm using iTunes 10 and OSX 10.5.8) I've gone and made sure that the iTunes Music folder is set to where the administrator (me) and 'everyone' have both read & write access and I applied to all folders within as well. This didn't remedy the situation. However, I did notice that w/ the files I can't edit there are differences when I 'Get info' and look under 'Sharing and Permissions'. Where it usually says 'You can read and write', it says 'You have custom access' with the problem songs. Normal songs only have Grant (me) [[that's me, the administrator]] with Read & Write privileges and then 'Everyone' also with read & write privileges. However, these problem files have Grant (me) and everyone set to read & write, but they also have an additional thing. It says 'wheel' and then 'no access.'

Now, I'm not a programmer, but I think that this wheel thing is giving me the problem. Is there anyone that can see a relationship b/w my problem and this wheel thing? Better yet, is there any way to fix this? Again, this all happened after that big transfer of files from PC to Mac - but i don't know why this has just affected some files - that were both purchased from the Apple store and ripped by me - and not all of them.

I also noticed that every file that cannot be edited has a file called "desktop.ini" in the directory with it that cannot be deleted. When I try to drag & delete, I have to put in my password but they still will not be deleted. I'm assuming this has something to do with the transfer from PC to Mac?

Finally, I did use the search utility on the boards b/c I know this issue has been covered in detail, but I couldn't find anything on this subject that related to the 'wheel' permission & the desktop.ini file, which I think is the crux of this problem.

Thanks so much! If anyone can help me with this, or send me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.