MacBook Pro 13 not connecting to internet via ethernet cable connection to modem rout

Reaction score
I have a NetComm NB6Plus4W ADSL2+ Modem Router ( NB6Plus4W Rev1: NetComm ) that I use to connect to the internet.
I am trying to connect my Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch (current model) to it via the ethernet cable. It connects, but is having issues, i.e. no internet. In Network Preferences it says: "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet." (it makes no differences if I turn AirPort wifi on or off).
So what I have done to resolve this is to test both the ethernet cable and the Modem Router. Now I know the modem router works fine as I'm currently connected to it and using the internet through it so that I can type this up.
To test the cable I plugged it in to a Lenovo PC running Microsoft Windows Vista, the PC picked up the network and connected to the internet no dramas.
So I therefore assume the issue lies with the MacBook or some setting.

Any ideas?

Here is a screen shot of the screen that is displayed in Network Preferences:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi

I am sure you can not connect airport and ethernet at the same time.
if you disconnect airport, then restart MB, if still issues then zap PRAM to clear the cache.

It makes no difference whether or not AirPort is on or off:

Zap PRAM guide: How to Zap PRAM on a MAC | eHow.com :

"1
Locate the following keys on your Macintosh keyboard: COMMAND, OPTION, 'P', and 'R'. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in the next step.
Restart your Macintosh and hold the COMMAND-OPTION-'P'-'R' key combination. You must be pressing this key combination before you get to the 'Welcome to Macintosh' screen.
You will hear the startup chime. Continue holding the keys down until you have heard three chimes.
Your Apple computer's PRAM will be reset to the default values."

PRAM has been zapped in accordance with the above and has made no difference.

I have also tried shutting everything down, restarting the modem/router and then a minute later the Mac. This has made no difference.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That self assigned address might be coming from the router and not something your Mac is doing. You might want to try resetting the router-modem to factory default if possible. Check the documentation to learn how.

But before you do that, click on the advanced box for ethernet. Then click on the TCP/IP button. Make sure it says that you're using DHCP. Anything else will probably not work.

OP
T
Reaction score
My brother had a very similar problem to this with his new 13" MacBook Pro a few weeks ago.

I trashed all the preferences that had anything to do with networking, restarted and all fixed...

Yeah? This is a brand new one, got it yesterday. So how do I reset all the networking preferences?

Try assigning a static IP first to see if you get a live connection that way. If that still doesn't work then you have a problem.

Ok, so I have had some luck, but still not there. I have managed to get the green light and get connected to the network using ethernet, however, the internet does not work. This was without setting a static IP. More often than not it would not work, but if I moved the cable between ports on the modem router a few times it would eventually Connect:

But more often than not I got the Amber status with:

I also tried manually assigning a static IP, this had the same effect, I can connect now, but still no internet through either of the ethernet connections:

So the bottom line at the moment, is that it can connect. It will sometimes sort itself out automatically, but will always connect if set manually, however, there is no internet. If I connect to the modem router via wifi then I get internet fine (so clearly the internet connection is fine).

That self assigned address might be coming from the router and not something your Mac is doing. You might want to try resetting the router-modem to factory default if possible. Check the documentation to learn how.

But before you do that, click on the advanced box for ethernet. Then click on the TCP/IP button. Make sure it says that you're using DHCP. Anything else will probably not work.

I have reset the modem router back to factory using the reset push in button on the rear of it (had to reset up all the ADSL connection and wifi on it as a result) and this has not helped at all.

Reaction score
Same Problem

I'm having the same problem at the moment with my mac pro, did you ever manage to resolve the issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.