Imac G5 can the logic board be repaired?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My Imac G5 is not producing any audio...
Basically the 3.5mm audio socket has been damaged and the imac things speakers are connected when they are not and i can not connect speakers as the socket is damaged.

I have spent time on the phone to Apple and taken it in to an apple store, where they told me it would need a completely new logic board which with labour would come to over £600...!!!!

Does anyone know if you can just replace the audio socket on the logic board?
Is it a case of just some soldering? Can i replace it with any old audio socket?
Or do i need a new logic board?

J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason Apple quoted you the price they did is because the audio socket is surface mounted to the logic board. Removing and replacing it requires special de-soldering and soldering equipment which generally is only available at a repair depot. Doing the job yourself would likely result in a damaged logic board (which would have to be replaced anyway).

So the answer is yes, you need a new logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Respectfully disagreeing with chscag, a competent electronics technician at your nearest radio/tv shop could repair the soldered audio connection within minutes. Even bearing in mind you're in the UK, where labour prices are high, the job could be done for maybe 1/6 of the price Apple has quoted.

You will however need to remove the logic board from the iMac yourself, and to supply the requisite parts, so do your homework as to what's required in both cases.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have to disagree with your disagreement. Removing surface mounted components from a multi-layer board is not a job that can be done in minutes. Nor is the average repair shop equipped to do it correctly. Not saying that it can't be done, just that it's not a simple de-solder, soldering bit of work.

Apple would not recommend changing out the entire logic board if it were a matter of easily removing the audio jack and replacing it. However, the OP probably doesn't have much choice and certainly nothing to lose by taking it to a local repair shop. With that, I agree with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
'Fair do', as the English would say. Hot air soldering and desoldering is all the rage, and I believe it's used extensively on circuit boards that have been assembled on mass production lines by conventional arc soldering.

Bear in mind that:
1. Apple will, unfortunately, always suggest replacement of a complete engine (which is what the logic board is) for the failure of a single component, and
2. we in NZ and those in the UK are still accustomed to 'fixit' technology. Replacing the whole horse for the want of a shoe nail is not part of our psyche.

Hugh

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it's the iMac G5 with the optical Digital/Analog combined Jack like mine, It might be even harder to replace it if you want the Optical output also to work which I sure would.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
2. we in NZ and those in the UK are still accustomed to 'fixit' technology. Replacing the whole horse for the want of a shoe nail is not part of our psyche.

I agree 100% with what you're saying. I'm a DIY sort of guy...and I certainly would rather replace a worn out or broken part rather than replace the whole thing.

I think that it's sort of terrible that someone is charged $700 for a new logic board...when it might be possible to replace a damaged component for a lot less $$$.

But I do understand that computer logic boards these days are very very very complex...the components are very very small...and it's maybe next to impossible to remove a single component with a home soldering iron without damaging neighboring components.

I guess since the size of the video, audio, and networking ports have remained relatively large (since the things we plug into them need to be large enough for human hands to handle)...these components may still be replaceable by a "Do-It-Yourselfer" persons. Personally I haven't tried to replace an audio port on a computer logic board...but it would (at first glance) seem like something that would be much more doable than say trying to replace an individual logic board component like a soldered on cpu or gpu.

I sort of understand why Apple replaces the whole logic board. Probably because of fast turn around, maximize customer service, and probably 95% or more of logic board components are not replaceable by human hands (even Apple "Genius" human hands)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
I have spent time on the phone to Apple and taken it in to an apple store, where they told me it would need a completely new logic board which with labour would come to over £600...!!!!

A few months ago I had a new logic board fitted to my iMac G5 by an Apple Approved Service Centre. From memory, they charged c.£250. This included an Apple 90 day warranty. It may be worth your while to have a look on the Apple site for your nearest Repair Centre.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.