• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Which Camcorder works best with MBP for streaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
I've been streaming video on a site called UstreamTV. I need a camcorder that will connect to my MBP for streaming live video. I've been recording on my Sony handycam and then broadcasting but I want to go live with it.
I'm looking at the Panasonic AG-DVC20 and the Panasonic NV-MD1000. So far, the NV has only been in PAL not NTSC. So I'm not sure if it comes in NTSC. Any suggestions?
tnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If your Sony has firewire (i.Link) then that should be useable. USB camcorders are a no go. Webcams may also be useable. Both of the cameras you mention seem to have firewire. I don't think it will matter if you use PAL or NTSC, after all, you are not broadcasting to televisions.

I see the free Camtwist mentioned a lot in my Google search. This enhancement overview by Bwana may be helpful to you. He also linked to a neat overview.

I see UStream has their own software called Ustream Producer.

DV cameras can supply live feeds by setting the camera to the VCR/Playback switch instead of the record switch. At least my Canon can. Play with that in iChat or iMovie to figure that out. Oh, remove the tape since the auto shutoff maybe in effect when one is loaded.

Short of experimenting with QuickTime Broadcaster, I haven't used live streaming. Looks like fun if you can get it going and have something interesting to say that will gather an audience. Good luck.

BTW, what is your Ustream channel/show/account?

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Cool!

Seeing happy birthday sung with a big drum in the background was a first for me. :)

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, we have a tendency to get out of the box now and then ;D

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So from what I've learned so far, the Panasonic NV-MD1000 will apparently work just fine and that's about the max I want to pay for one now.
Thanks for your input, xstep. I found some good info there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.