Password requirement for every frikkin thing!

Reaction score
I just bought a new unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch 2010. Untill now, everything seemed to be good, but after I insterted a dvd, in which i put my files from windows 7 (pictures, some documents, videos...), every frikking thing i do, mac is asking my password. it makes me so mad that i am about to throw it out of the window. i copy the files from dvd and even after i eject the dvd i am not able to move it, rename it, nothing, nothing, without the password. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, HELP ME GUYS!!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you told what the password is for? There should be a "Details" dropdown (not sure what else to call this) that should tell you what is looking for authentication. You also say that you cannot move or rename "it" - is this the DVD, the files on the DVD or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
If I'm right, it'll be because it is a windows file with some sort of lock feature on it. It'll need the password for the windows machine too IIRC.

You'll need to change the sharing and permissions to read and write.

(click file, cmd+i, read and write)

OP
D
Reaction score
Are you told what the password is for? There should be a "Details" dropdown (not sure what else to call this) that should tell you what is looking for authentication. You also say that you cannot move or rename "it" - is this the DVD, the files on the DVD or something else?

http://www.shrani.si/f/3Y/HQ/5wq2V5V/screen-shot-2010-11-03-a.png

this happens when i try to delete the file i just coppied from dvd to desktop.

about renaming and moving: this happens to files that are coppied from dvd to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have you tried repairing permissions with Disk Utility?

OP
D
Reaction score
havent crossed my mind and dont know how to use it, since i'm a first time mac user :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Looks like you don't have permissions to change any of the files in that folder. Right click the folder > Get Info > at the bottom is the "Sharing & Permissions" section > for your user, change the privilege to "Read & Write".

OP
D
Reaction score
thank u thank u thank u thank u thank u!!!! this helped. :) so, this will happen only to files transfered from windows right? anyway, im very happy that this got sorded out. :) peace!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.