Imac powering off

Reaction score
I have just inherited a second hand Imac. I spent all weekend moving my itunes library from old PC and had no problems with machine. However, since Sunday, the machine itself seems to power off completely for no reason. I have noticed that on more than one occasion the power off has coincided with Safari being clicked/launched.

Once off the machine will not power on again for a period of time - no particular length in this case. I have tried various resets - unplug and hold power for 5 secs, switching cables with another mac, moving to another power socket. At one stage on Sunday, the fan came on constantly after a reset and had to be reset again.

Once on , the machine will run again for a certain length of time. I left it on sleep overnight last and it woke up ok this morning on pressing space bar but has crashed at least 3 different times already since then. Last crash was approx 15 mins ago and it still will not power on. Any help??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
You didn't say which iMac you have, or what OS you're running, or any other Specifications whatsoever. Is the machines powering off completely, or does it seem to still have some power (Fans, HD etc.) From what I can gather via the information that you did supply, it sounds like the Power supply is about to give out.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry - first time mac user - when I can get it on again I will check this and repost - any other info required??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry - first time mac user - when I can get it on again I will check this and repost - any other info required??

On most Mac's there's usually a label of some sort that indicates the computers original shipping configuration. If you can find this label on your iMac...it will give us at least an idea of the vintage of your computer. Sometimes this label is visible on the outside...and sometimes you have to open an access door or panel (such as for ram upgrades) to see the label.

Different iMac styles:

Original iMac:

imac-lowres.jpg

iMac G4:

imac.jpg

"White" G5 & Intel iMac's:

RAM-iMac-iSight.jpg

"Aluminum" Intel iMacs:

images

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its the same as that white g5 & intel mac

This may or may not solve the problem...but the first thing I would do is try replacing the PRAM battery.

If your iMac is an "iMac 4,1"...it's one of the very 1st Intel iMacs with the white plastic housing. If you're not familiar...you need to open up the iMac to replace the PRAM battery...not a very easy process on these iMacs!!!:(

Here's the procedure:

Installing iMac Intel 17" Logic Board - iFixit

The photo in step #18 shows the PRAM battery. You don't need to follow the whole procedure...since it's actually the procedure for replacing the logic board. This was simply the closest procedure available to show how to get top the PRAM battery. So you shouldn't have to go past step 18.

You need a CR-2032 battery...just like this:

NWTCR2032.jpg

...available almost anywhere. If the new PRAM battery doesn't solve things...then we can go from there.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.