Word 2011 Forms Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Looking for some help from a Word 2011 guru...

I have a .doc that uses text box forms. The document is locked (for convenience, not security) so that only the text fields can be edited and you can tab through them using Tab and Shift-Tab. Word 2008 had a Forms toolbar that you could bring up at View > Toolbars > Forms. Where is the equivalent hidden in Word 2011? I can't find a Forms toolbar anywhere in the menus or in the Ribbon. I've Googled extensively, but to no avail.

I'll be happy to email a copy of the .doc to anyone who wants to give it a look...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's "hidden" so to speak. Enable the Developer tab in the ribbon (click the gear in the ribbon > Ribbon Preferences... > in Tab or Group Title, check Developer). Once enabled, you should see some form controls. Is that what you're looking for?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Van

Were you able to install Office 2011 over Office 2008 or did you have to remove Office 2008 first? In Windows, Office 2010 just installed itself over the previous version - Office 2007 - leaving all documents and custom templates intact along with the user dictionary.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was actually expecting Office 2011 to upgrade my 2008 install but it installed itself alongside 2008 which was nice in case I had some major issues with 2011. I ended up removing 2008 after a few days after I found that 2011 proved to work well for me.

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was the trick! Thanks Van!

And yes, you can install 2011 without it overwriting 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
It's "hidden" so to speak. Enable the Developer tab in the ribbon (click the gear in the ribbon > Ribbon Preferences... > in Tab or Group Title, check Developer). Once enabled, you should see some form controls. Is that what you're looking for?

Thank you! Just the information I was looking for! I have switched from Office 2003 on a PC to a Mac with Office 2011. No reqrets....just have to hit this forum now and then when I get "stuck."

Reaction score
please help

Ok, after looking all over the internet for an answer I thought I had found it here. The person below asked nearly the same question I needed to ask. The problem I am having is after using the solution that was given to him, I still do not see how to pull up the form formatting pallette like in Word for Mac 2008. Can anyone help?

Looking for some help from a Word 2011 guru...

I have a .doc that uses text box forms. The document is locked (for convenience, not security) so that only the text fields can be edited and you can tab through them using Tab and Shift-Tab. Word 2008 had a Forms toolbar that you could bring up at View > Toolbars > Forms. Where is the equivalent hidden in Word 2011? I can't find a Forms toolbar anywhere in the menus or in the Ribbon. I've Googled extensively, but to no avail.

I'll be happy to email a copy of the .doc to anyone who wants to give it a look...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (10.6), Powerbook (10.4)
Word forms

Sorry, I can't help but I have the same problem - even after ticking the 'Developer' box as discussed.

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, after looking all over the internet for an answer I thought I had found it here. The person below asked nearly the same question I needed to ask. The problem I am having is after using the solution that was given to him, I still do not see how to pull up the form formatting pallette like in Word for Mac 2008. Can anyone help?

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but in 2008, you could create tables and then insert boxes/fields all from the Forms toolbar. In 2011, it appears that you create a table from the Table tab and then click over to the Developer tab to add the boxes/fields.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for...

Reaction score
Rich Text?

Hi, Anyone on this thread know how to add rich text fields to forms in word 2011?

& can anyone lead me to a way to dynamically add fields, i.e. if the user wants to input more/additional details?

Reaction score
Creating Userforms

Hello! Any advice for learning resources regarding building of Userforms and/or inserting and using Controls?
I do know how to find them in the Developer tab, just not sure how to use them.

Cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this web page. LINK

Reaction score
Hi I have followed the advice and found the developer tab but no form tools show anywhere. What do I do now?

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks!

I know you answered this years ago, but it really saved me time today; thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.