iPad sync with Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Mac newbie. That said, have worked in the Unix / Windows world for a while (so not a complete newbie to IT related issues). I have a client who is running Snow Leopard server at home with 3 iMacs connected and 1 Macbook Pro. He also has 3 iPads and an iPhone for members of his family. I've configured the Opendirectory services, along with the mail services and CardDev / iCal services, and all works internally. I'm now in the process of configuring his iPads. Whilst I have the imap / smtp services working nicely over SSL (mail is working), I am struggling to figure out the settings required to get the calendars and address book to sync. For the calendar account, I have added the details as follows:

Server - Public URL to the server
Username - Open Directory account login name
PAssword - Users password
Advanced Settings:
Use SSL - On
Port - 8443
Account URL - https://<server_url>:8443/principles/users/<login_name>

The Account URL seems to differ from the URL I see in the Calendar app on the iMac, but if I change the iPad config to match this I still do not get the correct calendar displaying / syncing.

On the address book front, I am struggling to find similar settings that would allow me to connect to the iPad to the address book.

Can anyone suggest something I might be missing? If I http to the ports in question from a browser, I can connect, indicating that it is not a firewall / router issue. There does not appear to be anything in the logs indicating an error.

Many thanks,

Rob

OP
R
Reaction score
Update on this post

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with Apple Server support and they have told me the following regarding address book sync:

There are only three ways to sync the address book:
  • Via iTunes (cable)
  • Via a Mobile Me account
  • Via Exchange.

If would seem there is no way to sync an iPhone / iPad directly to the CardDAV services. So now I know that, I am just trying to get the iCal services working. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

OP
R
Reaction score
All resolved

Hi all,

Just to say that all is working now. Was a problem with the calendar app configuration on the iMac, that was causing it no to see updates. The settings I have mentioned above are exactly right. All working well.

Cheers

Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.