Firefox issue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

at times it takes me ages to be able to open my latest version of FF browser.

Sometimes, I dont know even if the FF desktop icon will react at all, as I cant see anything anything that gives the indication that something is going to get active!

If you faced similar issues, how did you solve these issue?

How do you access speedily to your functioning browser / IM?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you define for us what you mean by ages? I've always found FF to be quite slow at starting up.

You mention that it won't startup and you won't see any indication that it will. Do you mean that you don't see any bouncing icon in the dock? Can you start FF in safe mode (hold down option as you double click the FF application)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have no troubles with FF not starting or being slow, however in your position would trash FF and download a new version and see if that brings about an improvement.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

with ages I did refer to time that I cant define exactly sometimes its very fast to open the browser, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 10, 15, 20 minutes. Sometimes I have to shutdown my mac, and restart it again as nothing would give the indication that my browser is going to open!

How do you start your browser?

Is there a way to get your browser being opened up at start up?

Yes, as it looks to me I cant seem to see "any bouncing icon in the dock"!

Sorry, how do you start FF in safe mode, by holding "shift"?

What is the different by opening FF in safe mode and, the normal way by clicking on desktop icon?

I have the latest version of FF, I have many times thought about deleting the current version and downloading the latest version again! But in the past I did that on a windows based system and lost all my settings. Afterward it took me, lots of time to recover my settings.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sorry, how do you start FF in safe mode, by holding "shift"?
Can you start FF in safe mode (hold down option as you double click the FF application)?

That should clear that up.

It's also possible that you have a corrupt profile. Take a look at this for instructions on how to access the profile manager and create a new profile (don't delete your current one though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Is there a way to get your browser being opened up at start up?

Yes, through System Preferences. I can give precise directions when I'm back at my Mac. Someone is bound to beat me to it, but I figured I'd keep your question on the front burner.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, through System Preferences. I can give precise directions when I'm back at my Mac. Someone is bound to beat me to it, but I figured I'd keep your question on the front burner.
Done! ;)

System Preferences > Accounts > click your user > Login Items > add Firefox to that list.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thanks all for the input.

As to Vansmith regarding the possibility of a "corrupt" file, well I am not an IT expert. I had few negative experience in the past in trying to do just that!

In fact I was still not able to recover from my broken laptop my old but important files...! In the past, I did check this topic and followed some guidelines, but they didnt work out at least not for me. As I said I am not an expert and use IT as a utilization tool only, that was the case with window systems!

But with Mac's, I am starting to experience the experience can be a different, a positive and a fun one too...!

But starting to experience some issues as listed on the subject title, I am getting tired...!

"van Smith" Anyhow, I did check under my system preferences tab, but I dont have those listed that you have indicated! Could it be that we are using differing versions of Mac OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should have the Accounts pane in System Preferences, no matter which version of the OS you have. Open System Preferences from the Dock and look for Accounts. Click that, and the Accounts pane replaces the "index page". Then you should see an icon with your user name by it. Click that, and then Login Items. Then I thinkk you need to click tje "+" button to add something, which you will have to then navigate to and select.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi tomacsh.

thank you very much for the details.

I just did it, let me experience it few days...

Could I ask you, I got at times this rainbow like ball circling around sometimes for too long. What is that about? HOw to stop / refresh it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could I ask you, I got at times this rainbow like ball circling around sometimes for too long. What is that about? HOw to stop / refresh it?

You just have to wait it out. That's telling you that the computer is busy. The "solution" is to not overwork your processor. The more processor-intense things it's doing at once, the more you'll see the "spinning beach ball" as it's called. One potential solution to minimizing that is to add more RAM, also called Memory, and not to be confused with capacity, also known as Hard Drive space.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well,

if the "spinning beach ball" makes itself each time visible only while the processor does intense things, thats what I would understand, or if this happens if I push it a bit too much...!

But in reality, this happens just with basic sometimes too basic tasks, such as opening the browser(only one tab that being the browser tab)!

Or as I recently started to use Itunes radio functions(no other media of Itunes), I started to see it often.

Is there a way to see, what tasks (visible and non-visible) my Mac is processing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hard drive - what size is it and how much free space do you have left?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi tomacsh,

thank you for the info.

Everything seems to be well and fine.

Bobtomay, size 120,5GB; only 28,25GB is used

Could this be an issue related to the ADSL connection?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Vansmith,

I did follow your advise and added my browser to the log-in items.

However, still after few days those that were added dont open up at start up...

Did I do something wrong or?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they aren't opening at startup, then there's something wrong with them (assuming you followed the steps correctly).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.