Other Media Player Like Winamp For Panther

R

Racing666

is there a media player for panther that is similar to winamp? i can't stand the way iTunes handles ID3 tags and file names and titles...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There used to be MacAMP but there really isn't any other viable solution

You could check out Audion, I am not a fan of its interface at all

http://www.panic.com/audion/

And I am not sure if panic is still developing it anymore

OP
R

Racing666

i'll try it.. thanks... i just can't stand iTunes...it is terrible in how it reads id3 tags and file names, and when you have thousands of mp3's, it gets real confusing and aggravating..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 6200 songs in my library and haven't had any problems with it

OP
R

Racing666

do you let iTunes sort the files for you or do you do it manually...a lot of mine arent ID3 tagged correctly so i get the whole title, song number, and artist all in the TITLE column..i have a lot of ripped full albums.. :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I let iTunes sort the files. I used to have the id3 tags like you do but found it much easier to have iTunes do it itself so I can browse by artist/album/song much quicker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Racing666 said:
do you let iTunes sort the files for you or do you do it manually...a lot of mine arent ID3 tagged correctly so i get the whole title, song number, and artist all in the TITLE column..i have a lot of ripped full albums.. :dive:
Yeah but that isn't really iTunes fault is it?

You can find software that'll fix your tags for you, i.e. if your tags are always: Title: Coldplay_X&Y_Fixyou it can clean them up a bit for you and automatically separate the info.

Search around a bit, and clean up those tags!

OP
J

justinpfarrell

You also cant fault Itunes because it is intended for purchasing music and importing cd's. Illegal, downloaded music is often times very disorganized. I am not sure if your music is legal or not...but iTunes is meant for purchasing/importing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
Racing666 said:
is there a media player for panther that is similar to winamp? i can't stand the way iTunes handles ID3 tags and file names and titles...

I had similar problems because I have several thousand Old Time Radio shows that are all labled differently...depending on who encoded them to begin with...and I just couldn't find a way to keep them separate enough from my music to let them both live in iTunes...so I went with MacAmp for my radio stuff which was the only decent free one I ran across that would let me create playlists.

I love iTunes for music but not as a general catalog of all the audio on my computer. I didn't want my non music sound files mixed in with everything else.....put then my wife does accuse me of being a little persnickedy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I don't like using iTunes for the random sound files I have on my computer either...it's strictly music/audiobook/podcast only for me...

I just batch rename audiobooks to artist=author, album=book and don't bother with the track name. Then i make them bookmarkable so they show up in my Audiobooks section on the iPod and don't clutter up the main artist menu.

OP
R

Racing666

mine are all LEGAL backups of cd's that i own.. the format is: ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK NUMBER - TITLE... most of the files iTunes does ok in respect to putting ARTIST in ARTIST column and so on, but alot of them it has all the files info in the SONG NAME column..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
i just make playlists for each artist.....its so much more organized for the ipod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just make playlists for each artist.....its so much more organized for the ipod
But if the Id3 tags are sorted correctly, that's basically what the 'Artists' menu does: It lists all the songs of one artist, just like a playlist...
The advantage is that you can also single out a particular album or even genre if you'd like. Plus I have 312 artists, I don't want a playlist in iTunes for each one..

mine are all LEGAL backups of cd's that i own.. the format is: ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK NUMBER - TITLE... most of the files iTunes does ok in respect to putting ARTIST in ARTIST column and so on, but alot of them it has all the files info in the SONG NAME column..

Then check out these scripts to put that information into the ID3 tags for you... iTunes is so cool once your tags are sorted - it's really worth the effort!
http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts09.php

OP
N

neutrino

Winamp can play .shn files, while iTunes can't - I love iTunes for everything else but I can't find a mac app to play shn's for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
neutrino said:
Winamp can play .shn files, while iTunes can't - I love iTunes for everything else but I can't find a mac app to play shn's for me.

Cog can play shn and flac

Its free, just go to versiontracker or macupdate to get it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.