• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Discuss the recent iBook/mini updates thread...

Reaction score
The mini isn't really anything NEW, just different configurations of the old stuff. I think the $599 mini is a GREAT deal. I am glad that the $500 model is pretty close to my model.

New iBooks are pretty neat, I would definantly be pissed if I had recently bought an iBook. I wish the video memory would have increased to 64mb along with the change in GPU. No widescreen displays is kind of a bummer.

I really like how it seems that they are moving away from too many built-to-order options. The main one I would have wanted on an iBook would have been bluetooth but I would have never been willing to wait for a custom order.

I

ineedanewmac

Wow. I never thought this day would come. It took forever. The updates aren't that significant. Its definately a way better deal though. More ram and a bit faster than the last one.

As far as getting extras, Small Dog Electronics is always a good place to find iBooks loaded with extras.

OP
M
Reaction score
Its not just more ram in the iBook, but an increased max since the base 512mb is onboard.

Reaction score
The previous model IBooks didn't come with built in Bluetooth did they?...also the base 12" now has a 40GB harddrive as opposed to a 30GB one.

I didn't want the mini before because of the 256on board ram, but now I may be willing to purchase it with the 512mb so I don't have to upgrade right away

OP
M
Reaction score
smeshy123 said:
The previous model IBooks didn't come with built in Bluetooth did they?...also the base 12" now has a 40GB harddrive as opposed to a 30GB one.

You are correct, the old iBooks had 30gb HDs and bluetooth was only a BTO option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I think that it kind of sucks how close the iBook and PowerBook are now. They might as well be the same...

Hopefully this means the PowerBooks are due for an update...at least one before the intelchips come are released.

I

IChing

I'm glad I told a friend to wait who wanted to make the switch
I thought the improvement would not happen this fast
I sent him the news today and he just ordered and got a better machine.
He is a first time Mac user with this machine he just ordered.

I come over to his house with my PB once in a while, we do a small on-line business,and he and his wife were convinced after seeing the osx system at work..

M

macian

Just wondering if anyone can explain what more you get for your money by getting a powerbook v. one of the new iBooks. Seems to me, looking at 12inch models, that for about US$500 more you get a slightly quicker processer, slightly more HD space and a but better video card. Other than the pbs looking better, what's the point?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
As for the mini "update" goes, I think it's lame. All they've done is increased the minimum RAM to what it should've been in the first place. On the bright side, I doubt anyone would really feel cheated from buying a mini right before the "update."

OP
M
Reaction score
macian said:
Just wondering if anyone can explain what more you get for your money by getting a powerbook v. one of the new iBooks.

Aluminum Case, DVI Output, better screen options, doesn't feel like cheap plastic... not really worth the $500

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
Since these updates to the iBook are pretty minimal do you guys think I should buy, or wait for the intel-based processors... I really don't know what means, but that seems like a pretty significant change worth waiting for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
JBarbier said:
Since these updates to the iBook are pretty minimal do you guys think I should buy, or wait for the intel-based processors... I really don't know what means, but that seems like a pretty significant change worth waiting for.

Depends - you don't have a real recent iBook from your tag so the new iBook would be significantly faster than what you have. OTOH, if you aren't doing anything that really needs a lot more power, I'd suggest waiting. Since the Intel macs are supposed to start at the 'low end' of Apple's lineup, its a good bet that the first Intel models will be iBooks, eMacs, and Mac Minis.

P

pankajdubey

recent updates

The nice thing about these updates is that although you may feel happy about waiting but you will not feel totally cheated if you had bought earlier.

especially what you bought was a Powerbook and Mac mini.

I still don't understand the virtue of ATI graphics card update in iBook.Does this card allow screen spanning or apple have in effect really blocked the spanning by using a patch.

What apple should do is to allow the NVROTATE in their Nvidia cards.

Pankaj

OP
M
Reaction score
pankajdubey said:
I still don't understand the virtue of ATI graphics card update in iBook.Does this card allow screen spanning or apple have in effect really blocked the spanning by using a patch.

From what I have read the 9550 is the same chip as a 9600, which would mean that it would supports Tiger's Core Image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
Well, I don't really need anything too powerful for what I use a computer for, and this is why I still use the G3 800mhz. However, the LB failed on me and it's getting fixed right now. I'm still trying to figure out how reliable the most recent LBs are so that I can feel confident (and honest) when I sell it. That new machine with the student discount seems invariably attractive to me right now, especially considering I can get a free iPod mini. I think I'll do some research to see what I should expect from the intel processors and make my decision accordingly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i'm currently in the process of selling my Toshiba laptop and some other components so i can get one of the new ibooks, hopefully a 14" or so.

glad i did wait, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
but i am kinda ticked since we just bought my wife a mini with those exact upgrades in it for significantly more money about a month ago. if we knew they were going to upgrade, we would have waited a bit before getting the mini.

L

lil

mynameis said:
From what I have read the 9550 is the same chip as a 9600, which would mean that it would supports Tiger's Core Image.

The 9550 is a 9600 as you say, the differences are:

9600: 325MHz visual processing unit
9550: 250MHz visual processing unit

So it's effectively cost reduced and a bit cooler running than a 9600, there is of course the 9600 Pro and 9600 XT Radeon chips and I'm not sure on their specs.

IMO, the iBook 12" upgrade is fairly decent. From 1.2GHz to 1.33GHz G4, 256MB -> 512MB, 30GB HD -> 40GB, Bluetooth as standard, and Radeon 9200 to 9550.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.