Wireless printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. 4GB RAM
Hey,
I have just bought a new printer (Kodak ESP 5210) and I am trying to connect it wirelessly to my macbook.
I have set my macbook up for internet sharing over airport, using the connect from ethernet. And this works for my blackberry and also iPod touch, allowing them to access the internet through WiFi, and also allows my iPod to access itunes.
The problem I have is that i cant connect the printer. I scan for wireless networks on the printer, and it displays my macbooks, i try to connect and it fails. When searching for the printer from my macbook it cant find it :/

I managed to obtain an IP address for the printer of the unit itself, and configured this on macbook, and it recognises it. Although when i try to print it says the printer doesn't respond - make sure it is connected properly :/

Has anyone else managed to connect a printer in this way? or am i going about it a way that doesn't work?

Thanks for your help
Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I'm not familiar with the Kodak ESP series, but most wireless printers will usually include software which should be installed first before the printer can be "seen" on the network. One review of this printer indicated that additional software had to be downloaded from the Kodak site before it would work.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that you have installed the latest driver and software for the printer. You might also try hooking it up via USB first so that your Mac can "see" it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the response,
I have all the software installed, and also updated the firmware etc from the website.
Do you think it could be something to do with the way i have set up my network? As I'm not using a router / airport express. I am using Mac to broadcast the signal? Maybe i haven't got this set up properly?

I bought a usb cable today, and have connected the printer, it works fine this way, but still no wireless :/. I would like to be able to do it without the need of the cable, but cant seam to get it working.

Thanks again
Dave

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This should have all the answers you need. Follow that carefully and you should be fine. Here's is the software in case you need it.

Reaction score
I use a wireless printer at home. Different model but generally speaking, once the printer has an IP address assigned and you can ping it, you are close. Did you add the printer in System Preferences/Print & Fax? Most printers will understand the HP/Jetdirect protocol so additional software may not be necessary. Click the + button in the dialog to add a new printer. Select "HP/Jetdirect - Socket" as the protocol then for Address enter the IP address assigned to the printer. Leave the other fields blank. Try and print after adding the printer. If it doesn't work you may need an additional driver.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for the responses,
Yeah i went onto the print & fax settings and entered the ip address which the printer gave me. On this screen it says it is connected to the printer, although when I try to print a document it says the printer isn't responding. I have tried rebooting the printer etc, but the same error happens.
I have just looked on the 'view network configuration settings' on the printer, and it says that it is connected to the network. Gives the name of the network, its IP address, mac address etc. and the WiFi light is on.
This time i get an error message of "Unable to connect to printer"

Reaction score
It would help if you can tell us the IP address of your Mac and the printer. At a minimum that will tell us if the network looks good. If it does and you still can't print I'm out of ideas. I've never tried to configure printing using your setup and a Kodak printer.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airports self assigned ip address: 169.254.113.79
Printer ip address: 169.254.1.39

Reaction score
That doesn't look good. You have two public IP addresses assigned on a home network. That's most likely your problem. Need to fix your network setup. We tested in the office and the IP we got when using Internet sharing across the Airport was 10.0.2.2. If I had to make an educated guess I'd say your printer IP should be the same number we observed, 10.0.2.2. Also, the IP address you use in the Print & Fax settings should be the 10.0.2.2 address.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the late reply, have been away for a couple of days.

I just tried to assign that IP address to both the mac & laptop. No joy, when i try to print i get a message saying 'the printer is busy' / 'cant connect to the printer'

You said you tried it in the office, did you have the same set up? as in the printer connecting directly to the mac.

Thanks again
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I've just been given a kodak esp 5210 as well... I'm gonna be trying to set it up on the weekend... Wish me luck lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I had that printer and had it connected to my network and printed just fine so it shouldn't be a problem.

As a side note, I had a few models of Kodak printers and they are complete garbage. I wouldn't recommend anyone get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had that printer and had it connected to my network and printed just fine so it shouldn't be a problem.

Can I pick your bains then please, what with still being a bit of a switcher? I have never installed ANY printer onto a mac, but I have had a read up on it...

My plan so far, is to tell the printer to use wifi, and tell it the name of my 'BT HUB' (UK Broadband Provider) and tell it the code - Same as when I first went online on my mac, and did the same for the internet.

Once the printer is OK, I will install the latest software package for mac, that I downloaded from the kodak site last night...

But then what? Instructions say

For MAC OS: Select System Preferences, then Print & Fax (under Hardware). Click the + sign to add a printer to your wireless network.

But is it really that straight forward, or is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any brief instructions, or mac specific links, if you'd be so kind :) No rush. I dont plan to try until Saturday :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Just do what it says. If your printer is on the network and you've installed the drivers, the printer will show up when you add in the Print & Fax window. Very easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. Thanks...

As you can guess I found this old thread searching for user experience on the printer...

I will update on Saturday, either with my success story, or another question :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just do what it says. If your printer is on the network and you've installed the drivers, the printer will show up when you add in the Print & Fax window. Very easy.

UNDERSTATEMENT!

Extremely easy. Dunno why I was even concerned ! Thanks Schweb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.