re-name home folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
How do I rename it from garysmedley86 to Gary?

Screen shot 2010-11-02 at 8.19.25 PM.jpg

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
6string, that didn't seem to work for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You really shouldnt be playing around with the Home directory, renaming or anything ...
BUT

All you have to do is create a new account, naming what you want where you want on the way, then copy the OLD home directory to the new Acct then delete the OLD Acct ONCE you have checked all is there in the New. Log out then back in and you should be right to go....

OH BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP just n case something happens

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You really shouldnt be playing around with the Home directory, renaming or anything ...
BUT

All you have to do is create a new account, naming what you want where you want on the way, then copy the OLD home directory to the new Acct then delete the OLD Acct ONCE you have checked all is there in the New. Log out then back in and you should be right to go....

OH BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP just n case something happens

Cheers

Sorry Gary86, I was hoping that you would do as TattooedMac suggested above.
The reason I linked that page is that it warns against changing the name of the home folder. The problems that can/do come of it are permission problems, and lost paths.
The article pretty much advises and instructs as TattoedMac suggested.
The way I went about it is longer but easier for me, which is reinstalling OS X, running through the setup with the username that I want to have.
Then I manually copy content from my time machine backup to the corresponding folders on the fresh system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.