Trying to plug Microphone into Macbook Pro 13''

Reaction score
Okay so I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch, and I know that the only port for the microphone is where you would normally plug headphones. When I plug my microphone in there it totally doesn't register and from reading and researching the issue on the internet I understand that I need to purchase some other device to plug the microphone into and then plug that device into the macbook. Is this correct?
And if so, what is this device, how much is it, and where can I get it from? (I live in Melbourne, Australia but any recommendations would be helpful really)
Hope you can help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
A headphone jack and microphone jack are two different things. A headphone jack carries sound out while a microphone jack carries sound in. It's like going the wrong way down a one way street, it just wont work.

The MBP should have a built in mic, albeit it's not the best. There are USB headsets, like those used with the old PS2 that are USB only.
Amazon.com: Logitech Premium USB Headset 350 ( 980374-0403 ): Electronics
There is an example of one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
reading and researching the issue on the internet I understand that I need to purchase some other device to plug the microphone into and then plug that device into the macbook. Is this correct?
Withought more info, it is tricky to give you the info you need, so....
If it is a battery powered condenser mic, or many of the basic mics, you are fine.
Professional mics such as the Shure SM58 and phantom powered condenser mics will require a preamp to plug your mic into, and then plug the preamp into your input.
Other option is a USB mic.

The 13" Macbook Pro has a shared audio in/out port.
Basically standard mics and battery powered condenser mics should work when you plug them in.
Check that you have the correct input device selected in system preferences>sound.

http://www.getprice.com.au/microphones.htm

Here's some reading to help guide you.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2508?viewlocale=en_US

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.