Desperately need help with Wireless Extender

Reaction score
Hi there,

I really need help urgently because the problem is disrupting my job.

I have a Belkin router in my home and my office is in the garden so I need to install a wireless extender which will extend the signal from my home router to the garden. So far so good.

I've bought an Edimax extender and all I have to do to install it is connect it to the ethernet on my laptop - configure the admin page to search for my router and then all should be fine HOWEVER...

The Edimax extender has exactly the same IP address as my router so when I enter the IP address into the browser to configure the extender admin page, it just goes to my router admin page. If I turn off my wireless network I can enter the extender admin but I then need to turn the wireless network back on for the extender to find the router at which point the admin page reverts back to the Belkin router.

I do know how to install an extender but with this IP address issue I'm at a loss and really need wireless to do my job.

I hope that all makes sense, please could someone help!!!!

All the best

Shark

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Stanley but I just need my extender configured. I know it will work once its up and running.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which router are you using. I have seen several models that would let you assign the router a different IP number.

Make sure to assign it something in the same range as your extender. If for example, your extender uses an IP of 192.168.2.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 then set the router to something like 192.168.2.2 with the same subnet numbers.

Note: On my Belkin router I can access this setting by clicking the first setting (LAN Settings) after I log in. It is probably the first setting in that area. Then apply the changes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.