Power Adapter Issue

Reaction score
This is the weirdest issue since I'm not quite sure what's caused this.

Whenever I try to use the adapter, it doesn't charge right away. However, what worked is lightly tugging or just straightening it out. This made me think it was a lose wire or something, but once I'd actually gotten the light on, I could move the charger around freely without any issues. And the only time it'd fail to light up again is once I'd unplugged it then put it back in.

I thought it could be overheating, but even after it'd cooled down, even after waiting overnight, it still had those problems. And it's not the laptop since the problem is between both laptops.

I'm really not sure how this may have happened since there aren't any signs of melting or fraying on the charger either, and the LED certainly works. Edit: It's a magsafe, by the way.

Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is the weirdest issue since I'm not quite sure what's caused this.

Whenever I try to use the adapter, it doesn't charge right away. However, what worked is lightly tugging or just straightening it out.

Almost 100% of the time when you have to tug or wiggle a wire to get something electrical to work...you have some sort of damage of some sort. Either it's in the wire itself...at the connection with the power "brick", or at the connection at the Mag-Safe end.

You probably need a new power adapter for your laptop if you want this problem to go away 100%.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
my power adapter went bad a couple weeks ago. I called apple and they replaced it for FREE! give it a try

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.