Safari Issues

Reaction score
Hi there, I have had my mac for just over a week, and my safari wont open. Everything else works when i click on the icons, but no matter what i do, I can't get safari to open. any ideas on how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
More info what model Mac and did you set it up correctly with your service provider, is this wired or wireless and what kind of router/modem and do you have other internet
devices in the house able to connect?

OP
C
Reaction score
im not 100% on the exact model, but its a imac 21-inch with 2 gb ram 250 hard drive. Its wirelessly connected, and everything is set up correctly as my other pc and gaming systems are connected. the computer itself has internet signal, safari just wont open. like I'll click it and it just sits there with no windows opening.

Reaction score
Is there still a Safari icon in your "Applications" folder? I deleted something from there last night by mistake, but the icon remained in the dock and behaved the way you're describing... Could be something else, but you might make sure it didn't somehow get moved/deleted :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Everything else works when i click on the icons, but no matter what i do, I can't get safari to open.

It would help to know where these icons that you're clicking are.

Problem could be as the above post states, unless the icons aren't where that person assumes them to be.

OP
C
Reaction score
the icons are all in the dock, but the safari icon is also in the applications folder. when i click it there, it still does nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
C
Reaction score
the lame thing is i dont have another browser. Im replying on my work computer. Its really frustrating because no matter what i do, I cant get it to open :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
the icons are all in the dock, but the safari icon is also in the applications folder. when i click it there, it still does nothing.

What method of clicking are you using? Have you tried right clicking and selecting Open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
the lame thing is i dont have another browser. Im replying on my work computer. Its really frustrating because no matter what i do, I cant get it to open :Confused:
:(
I think it is crucial to have extra browsers, even if you don't use them for times like this.
If all else fails, what I would do is trash Safari using AppCleaner to get rid of any bad .plst and corrupted supporting files along with it, and use http://www.charlessoft.com/ to get it off your install disc.

M

MacInWin

When you say it "doesn't open" does the top bar change to show "Safari" in the bar? If so, Safari is open, with no pages opened. Unlike Windows, clicking on the red X doesn't stop the application, so Safari may still be running but with no URL selected, hence no window appears. But the top bar should show if Safari itself is running. From there you can, I think, select a menu item to open a new window and it appears. I'm not at my iMac, so I cannot verify that, but I've had the same problem and that was how I got out of the dead spot.

OP
C
Reaction score
When you say it "doesn't open" does the top bar change to show "Safari" in the bar? If so, Safari is open, with no pages opened. Unlike Windows, clicking on the red X doesn't stop the application, so Safari may still be running but with no URL selected, hence no window appears. But the top bar should show if Safari itself is running. From there you can, I think, select a menu item to open a new window and it appears. I'm not at my iMac, so I cannot verify that, but I've had the same problem and that was how I got out of the dead spot.

thats the issue im having, but when i click new window, it doesnt open one, and i get an error that safari closed unexpectedly.

M

MacInWin

thats the issue im having, but when i click new window, it doesnt open one, and i get an error that safari closed unexpectedly.
Not sure that answered the question, but if it's showing "Safari" in the top bar, have you tried to close Safari from there and restarting it? To do so, click on "Safari" and then "Quit Safari" and it should close completely. then you can reopen it and see if it works properly.

Reaction score

I'd just download firefox and Safari from your work computer and save them to a thumb drive. As another user suggested, use app cleaner to remove Safari and then reinstall it from the thumb drive and while you're at it, install firefox as a backup.

OP
C
Reaction score
i ended up taking it in to the store i bought it from and got them to fix it because i had a warranty on it. They got it fixed within an hour. thanks all for the help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.