how to reinstall iMovie

S

slickman9696

How do I reinstall just iMovie without having to reinstall OSX. It just seems that there's no way on the disc to just simply install that one program. I didn't try it though because I didn't want to lose anything, so if anyone can tell me what to do, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

OP
S

slickman9696

bad plug-in, and it's just acting kinda funky, so I was hoping that by just simply re-installing it, it will fix everything (as well as removing all the plug-ins from the folder they're in). I just need to know if it's okay to re-install just iMovie. I got to where I can customize what I want to install, but I don't know if it will just reinstall the iMovie program, or reinstall my whole OSX to just 10.0.0 (and obviously there have already been many updates).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
try updating and maybe that would snap it back...(it did with iphoto for me) here

if that dosent work you maybe finding yourself at the apple store purchasing a new ilife 05 cd....

its gonna install osx again...
dont do it....its not worth not spending 20 bucks on a new ilife cd

orrrrrrr you could try p2p....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey, don't worry - assuming you got iLife with your mac, you can just get it off the disks that came with your system.

Method 1: (easiest)
Pop in the system disks and see if one of them has an icon called 'install additional software'. Run that installer and you should see an app in your utilites folder called 'additional software' or something like that.

Run it and only check the iMovie checkbox to reinstall it.

Method 2 (harder):

Download Pacifist at versiontracker.com and pop in the disks that came with your system. Select open OS X packages in pacifist and then do a search for iMovie.app or just iMovie in the window that pops up.
Just unpack that to your applications folder, overwrite the old version and see if that does it for you.

You might also want to check your application support folder to see if the plugins are in there somewhere, as they might affect the new installation as well.

OP
S

slickman9696

Aptmunich, thank you so much. You're the man. I tried the pacifist program, worked wonders. Everything's all better now, thank you a lot.

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No problem!

Pass on the wisdom my friend! :dive:

Reaction score
this advice is still good!

thanks, Aptmunich! I was ready to start mailing Apple bloodstained letters, but you fixed the problem! that Pacifist software is a wonder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.