Applecare or John Lewis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Hi all

Been having a very positive experience since switching to osx 9 months back, tis now my os of choice.
My question however is regarding applecare, when i purchased my imac from John Lewis here in the UK, they give you a free 2nd year of warranty, do you think it would be worth it however to still purchase applecare, and if so would it be OK to purchase from Amazon or Ebay? have heard conflicting stories regarding these purchases, but they are so much cheaper?

Reaction score
I'd suggest you carefully read both John Lewis' warranty policies and Applecare's. What do they cover/not cover, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
When I bought my iMac I considered John Lewis but am glad I didn't. Went in there to get cases for my iPad and iPhone and their attitude was awful.

Never had nothing less than exceptional service from the apple store so would continue to buy direct from them.

In terms of AppleCare you can actually get 2nd hand but still sealed from cex apple told me the only difference in buying direct is that apple pre register it for you.

Buying from cex is cheaper than from apple.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the tip about CEx, never heard of hem before, but seem to have some good deals, £80 for applecare, will go with that i think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
thanks for the tip about CEx, never heard of hem before, but seem to have some good deals, £80 for applecare, will go with that i think

Not a problem they are also good for software for your Mac.

I got a copy of Iwork 09 for £30 from there which was brand new and still sealed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
You would have to go a long long way to beat John Lewis for service and or the quality of their gaurantees.

I bought a Denon Hi Fi from them a few years ago which had a two year warranty. Just before the two year warranty was up the Denon developed a fault. I phoned up the store and they asked me where I lived in relation to the store. I told them and they asked me if I wanted to bring the Denon back, not for a repair but for an exchange for a brand new Denon (after two years mind you). On top of this they also gave me a twenty pound voucher as a good will gesture to cover the cost of my fuel and time spent travelling back to the store.

Now I'm not saying that the Apple warranty is poor but I think what I have written above speaks volumes for the John Lewis ethos. I now source all my products from JL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
You would have to go a long long way to beat John Lewis for service and or the quality of their gaurantees.

I bought a Denon Hi Fi from them a few years ago which had a two year warranty. Just before the two year warranty was up the Denon developed a fault. I phoned up the store and they asked me where I lived in relation to the store. I told them and they asked me if I wanted to bring the Denon back, not for a repair but for an exchange for a brand new Denon (after two years mind you). On top of this they also gave me a twenty pound voucher as a good will gesture to cover the cost of my fuel and time spent travelling back to the store.

Now I'm not saying that the Apple warranty is poor but I think what I have written above speaks volumes for the John Lewis ethos. I now source all my products from JL.

I've never had a problem with John Lewis and only ever heard good things about them as well.. from what I remember reading last year in the papers they also treat their staff really good as well.. so whoever had a problem with their attitude before should have made a complaint! - I think they take these things quite seriously (unlike a lot of other retailers!)..

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah the reason i brought it from Jl was because of their outstanding reputation and the 2 year warranty, i was just concerned if anything goes wrong in year 3, being an imac if the logic board or screen goes its a write off basically.

My thoughts at the moment are to purchase the apple warranty and maybe sell and trade up near the end of year 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
Yeah the reason i brought it from Jl was because of their outstanding reputation and the 2 year warranty, i was just concerned if anything goes wrong in year 3, being an imac if the logic board or screen goes its a write off basically.

My thoughts at the moment are to purchase the apple warranty and maybe sell and trade up near the end of year 3

You really shouldn't need to consider selling something like an iMac for at least five years and even then only if you really need to. These are not PCs they are quality built products. It does depend on what you are using your Mac for but if it's simply for Office apps web surfing email photos video editing and the like then you hang onto it and get your monies worth out of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.