generic icons after up date to 10.6

Reaction score
My file icons (such as for Power Point, Word, Adobe products) are generic after I up dated to Snow Leopard. I have reloaded Microsoft Office and the operating system software used to update my iMac was an official copy of Snow Leopard. Does any one know how to fix the icons so that they show properly? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
File icons in Finder Windows, I presume. That is, when you double click a folder and it opens in a window.

Go to View > Show View Options

Is "Show Icon Preview" checked or unchecked?
You could go ahead and reverse that setting to see if it changes your icons. If not, you can put it back the way it was.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you!

Your suggestion worked. You are brilliant. I don't understand why it worked, or if it is a symptom of some deeper problem, but my icons are as they should be. Thank you so very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Your suggestion worked. You are brilliant.
You are correct. ;) I did that without the benefit of having a Mac to look at!

I don't understand why it worked, or if it is a symptom of some deeper problem, but my icons are as they should be. Thank you so very much.
You're quite welcome, and thank you for the compliment. I've found that check box to be counter-intuitive myself. And remember, I'm brilliant! ;) I don't think there's anything sinister going on. That's just the way it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.