Help recovering files off iMac G4 Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have a dead iMac G4 800 MHz that the when you press the on button the fans work but that's it.

I have another iMac G4 same model. Would I be able to connect them via Ethernet cable and the working iMac would see the hard drive?

Also is is there a connector I can get that I could just take out the drive and plug it into a usb port?

Thnaks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a dead iMac G4 800 MHz that the when you press the on button the fans work but that's it.

I have another iMac G4 same model. Would I be able to connect them via Ethernet cable and the working iMac would see the hard drive?

Not if the "dead" iMac G4 is truly dead.

You're best bet is to remove the HD from the dead iMac G4...install it into an external HD case...and then plug it into your good iMac G4.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Not if the "dead" iMac G4 is truly dead.

You're best bet is to remove the HD from the dead iMac G4...install it into an external HD case...and then plug it into your good iMac G4.

HTH,

- Nick

I was told the Logic board was dead. Would I still be able to via Ethernet then?

Also which external HD Case would I need? Does anybody know what connector these hard drive's have?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was told the Logic board was dead. Would I still be able to via Ethernet then?

If the logic board is dead...then I don't think ethernet would work. Ethernet is not independent of the logic board.

Also which external HD Case would I need? Does anybody know what connector these hard drive's have?

3.5" drive IDE.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It will need a 'Lazarus' type miracle if the logic board has in fact died. Who diagnosed it for you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.