Want to get a Mac...but Lotus Notes dilemma...

Reaction score
hi all,

i'm getting ready to get a mac (macbook air).

my only concern is that i need to be able to use lotus notes 6.5 for work (chinese and english) & ms office (english). the main being my lotus notes dilemma......:Confused:

i hear i can use boot camp, virtualbox, vmware and parallels.

can someone let me know what is the best to use? and how to go about this?

my preference would be to run both os simultaniously.

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Any specific reason why you need that particular version of Lotus Notes? There is a Mac version.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

the reason for that particular version of lotus notes is beacuse it is the up-dated version on company is on and will support.

Reaction score
As for your basic question- which way is best to run Windows - please read the sticky "... a switcher's guide" at the top of this forum. There are only 2 ways to run Windows on an Intel mac - via Boot Camp, or via a virtual machine (Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox). If under Boot Camp, your machine boots into Windows and runs windows like any old Windows PC with the same specs. In a virtual machine, you run Windows in a virtual environment on your Mac, and can cut/paste, drag/drop between them, etc. However, you won't have full access to all your hardware (e.g., your graphics adapter), so running advanced games is best done in Boot Camp.

Given that your only need to run Windows is for Lotus Notes, I would think virtual machine would be the easiest. Since to do any of these you have to buy a copy of Windows anyway (the details are in the sticky note but a full retail or system builder's OEM version of windows is required), I would recommend you start with VirtualBox. it is free and is very simple to create a windows machine. Download and install VirtualBox, then install your Windows virtual machine, and then see if that meets your needs. If it does, you are good to go.

If not, you could try a different virtualization product or try installing your windows under Boot Camp.

Good luck

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the reply!

it was very useful and helps get me in the direction i need.

i won't be playing any games on it and my only concern was for lotus notes.

i'm good to go now!:)

OP
R
Reaction score
additional questions..

if i go with VirtualBox, should i go with windows xp or windows 7 or.... (if i have a choice)? what are the adv. and disadv. of each?

tks again!

Reaction score
Look at the sticky - I have no experience with Notes so don't know anything about it. In general, for future proofing and later flexibility, I would go with Win7. But XP is fine. That's really your call based on your needs. All flavors of Windows work great in VirtualBox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.