• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting with iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m
I've been working on a small project thats about 4 minutes long. After cutting out everything that's unneeded I've got about 140 short clips and I've got them in the order that I want them. The video plays fine in iMovie but when I export the film the audio doesn't line up with the video after a certain point in the video. The original clips are fine and have the correct audio so I don't know whats causing this. I've tried detaching the audio and that works however if I do that I need to detach the audio from every clip and once I get about 2/3rds of the way through that iMovie locks up and the only way to close it is to force quit it. I opened up activity monitor and found that iMovie was using 100% of one core and none of the other. I still have about 2 gigs of memory free when iMovie locks up so I know its not a CPU/RAM issue.

I've worked quite hard on this project and iMovie was the first program I found that seemed to work good and I don't want to have to restart or find a different program. What should I do to fix this problem with iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Wow, that is 1.7 seconds per clip!

What version of iMovie and OS X are you using? Do all of the source files use the exact same video and audio codecs? The audio drift may be attributed to audio that is of different settings. The pros prefer AIFF set to 16bit & 48kHz because differing settings between sources can cause drift issues.

One thing I'd try is to export the audio by it self as an AIFF file set to 16bit and 48kHz. I'd then also export the video by it self (no audio) as a high grade video. Then import both into a new project and marry them back together.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m
Thanks for the reply xstep!

I was using iMovie '09 with Mac OS X 10.6.4. I upgraded iLife '09 to iLife '11 and the export worked fine in iMovie '11. Don't know what the issue was but it worked and I'm happy about that.

The reason why their are so many clips is because the clips are all good plays from COD4. Even getting to the point where I could edit the clips took a long time... I used an old Hauppage WinTV PVR-150 to record the video which records in MPEG-2 Interlaced. So a 5 minute long video was about 500MB in size. I then had to find a program to deinterlace the video and the only way I could effectively do that was using HandBrake in either Linux or OS X. I didn't have enough room on my hard drive (and a 2.4GHz C2D is extremely slow for converting video) so I went with the linux version on my desktop. The problem with that was Handbrake was unstable so it would crash a lot. Finally I managed to get enough deinterlaced so I could make a good video. Thats when I tried iMovie (had tried Kino, KdenLive, OpenShot) all of which had issues. iMovie '09 worked great but had the sound issues. As a last ditch effort I upgraded to iMovie '11 and everything worked fine. I was then able to to export the movie and put it into good old movie maker to put the finishing touches on (I used movie maker because this started before I got a mac.)

Anyways thanks a lot for the help. Hopefully I will get a more modern tuner card so I won't have to go through so much stuff for the next video :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sounds like quite an adventure. Good to hear iM11 fixed it.

Converting video is always time consuming. The problem isn't that the 2.4Ghz C2D is slow.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like quite an adventure. Good to hear iM11 fixed it.

Converting video is always time consuming. The problem isn't that the 2.4Ghz C2D is slow.

The C2D is getting old and compared to the i5 750 @ 3.8GHz in my desktop it is slow :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.