• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Paypal fund holds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So I sold two items on e-bay. They were successfully paid for with paypal and delivered. I didn't print shipping labels through paypal, but I did enter my tracking number and it shows up as shipped. The problem is, it's still showing shipped and not delivered even though one item was delivered last Monday and one was delivered on Friday.

This is a problem because e-bay put a hold on the funds for up to 21 days after the transaction, once the items were proved to be delivered, or the sellers left positive feedback on my e-bay account.

I contacted the sellers twice already about leaving feedback. One has not responded and I don't think they're going to and the other is most likely a moron because when I asked for feedback on my ebay account with a message sent through ebay, they e-mailed me their so called "feedback".

Is there any ways to get the shipping details to update to delivered? Can I do this without opening a dispute? I don't want to do something that would endanger the money in my paypal account.

Paypal sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So I sold two items on e-bay. They were successfully paid for with paypal and delivered. I didn't print shipping labels through paypal, but I did enter my tracking number and it shows up as shipped. The problem is, it's still showing shipped and not delivered even though one item was delivered last Monday and one was delivered on Friday.

This is a problem because e-bay put a hold on the funds for up to 21 days after the transaction, once the items were proved to be delivered, or the sellers left positive feedback on my e-bay account.

I contacted the sellers twice already about leaving feedback. One has not responded and I don't think they're going to and the other is most likely a moron because when I asked for feedback on my ebay account with a message sent through ebay, they e-mailed me their so called "feedback".

Is there any ways to get the shipping details to update to delivered? Can I do this without opening a dispute? I don't want to do something that would endanger the money in my paypal account.

Paypal sucks.

Did you email PayPal? That happened to me a few weeks ago and they updated it the next day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The best you can do is contact paypal with a copy of your shipping receipts and tracking info, as well as tell them how the buyers replied to you. GL!

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I did e-mail them this morning. I'll just have to wait and see what they do I guess. Sucks, because I need part of the money for some photography equipment that I'm going to need pretty soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
First off Paypal sucks

Who did you ship through USPS,Fedex,UPS? If I'm not mistaken I think paypal will let you fax in the proof of delivery.

Just curious why did paypal put a hold on your money? and why would you ship without having the cash in hand? It just doesn't seem like you the seller are protected at all, If the buyer wanted to lie and say the item was broke,never received..etc you would essentially never see your money and lose your item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
First off Paypal sucks

x2: I had a similar situation with them and it ended up taking about 20 days to get a couple thousand dollars all the way into my account free-and-clear. The lesson I learned was to accept only money orders for payment. It requires patience I often don't have, but I survive. Sucks that they have your cash. Consider it a life lesson and ditch those suckers. They were great 10 years ago, but not so much anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Don't fault a system for your own problems. You can cherry pick problems with practically everything, but just as easy as that is to do, so is protecting yourself before a transaction is ever completed. It's pretty simple to follow guidelines that SUGGESTED to you in order to protect yourself from situations like this...it's shown to you when your listing has ended via paypal, when you see who the final winner is/shipping info.
And money orders? Seriously? There's more fraud in there than probably ANYTHING else.
Learn before you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
money orders? Seriously?

Actually Money Orders were very successful on Ebay for a longtime, The only reason they are not allowed has nothing to do with fraud. It's simply because Ebay/Paypal weren't getting there cut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 500GB 4GB, iPhone 3GS, 160GB Classic, 40GB ATV, 16GB iPad WiFi
When I reached 100 sales on eBay, PayPal quit holding my funds. 6 months later, usps lost an iPhone 4 I sold for $900. Needless to say, Im out $900. Thanks usps!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I reached 100 sales on eBay, PayPal quit holding my funds. 6 months later, usps lost an iPhone 4 I sold for $900. Needless to say, Im out $900. Thanks usps!!

That sucks, Did you purchase insurance and use delivery confirmation?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Got to agree with the money order comment. 10 years ago when I joined e-Bay (and there was no Paypal)...money orders were a viable way to pay for e-Bay items. Back then you really only had two choices to pay for an item that you purchased from an individual (who couldn't or didn't take credit cards)...was to either pay with a personal check or a money order (of course you could pay with cash as well).

But the risk was...money orders are just like cash. So you could send a money order to an e-Bay seller, they cash the money order...then send you nothing. You really had no recourse. Just think about sending someone a $750 dollar money order (or more) for a computer you purchased...and keeping your fingers crossed that you actually get the computer...and not a brick!:(

Today...although Paypal does have it's negative aspects...I certainly feel it's a much better option that sending someone a money order. Cause with Paypal you do have some recourse.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Usually the USPS is the least expensive, has the worst tracking, is generally the slowest, and is the least reliable method of shipping (in my experience). Whenever I purchase an item I strongly suggest to the seller to ship either UPS or Fed Ex...even if it costs me more.

When I have shipped with the USPS...I always get insurance. Thankfully I've never had to put in a claim...I'm not sure how they would handle it. ONce the government gets your money...they don't want to give it back!!!;)

- Nick

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Wow guys. I called customer service and they checked that the items were delivered and then released the money. It's on it's way to my checking right now.

And yes, pay pal does suck. Now the next big problem. I have to wake up in 6 hours to go to work and I'm not even tired. Any one have a cure for insomnia?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
Wow guys. I called customer service and they checked that the items were delivered and then released the money. It's on it's way to my checking right now.

And yes, pay pal does suck. Now the next big problem. I have to wake up in 6 hours to go to work and I'm not even tired. Any one have a cure for insomnia?

Valium

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.