Macbook Replacement Unibody?

Reaction score
So ive just gone and scratched the top cover of my macbook through to the bare metal. VERY FRUSTRATING

Is there anywhere i can get a replacement top cover? (the apple logo side, back of screen)

I cant seem to find any tutorials or info on this.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How are we supposed to help if you don't give us any model information??

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
How are we supposed to help if you don't give us any model information??

- Nick

Sorry its a 15" MBP silver. Im not 100% sure what exact edition it is but it was bought 11 months ago brand new from apple UK...

Does that help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So ive just gone and scratched the top cover of my macbook through to the bare metal. VERY FRUSTRATING

Is there anywhere i can get a replacement top cover? (the apple logo side, back of screen)

I cant seem to find any tutorials or info on this.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I'm not so sure you can just buy the top cover. I think you need to replace the entire display.

An alternative would be just to buy one of those hard cases that snaps on the outside of your Macbook.

OP
S
Reaction score
The reason i ask is i read this post

Here is what I can tell you. The back of the lid (with the Apple logo) is an easy replacement. You remove a couple screws and it just snaps off at that point. Do be careful to get the "right one" for your LCD panel, as there are different lids for different manufacturers.

Macbook Pro cosmetic damage replacement - Mac Forums

But i cant find any more info on this.... strange

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The reason i ask is i read this post

Here is what I can tell you. The back of the lid (with the Apple logo) is an easy replacement. You remove a couple screws and it just snaps off at that point. Do be careful to get the "right one" for your LCD panel, as there are different lids for different manufacturers.

Macbook Pro cosmetic damage replacement - Mac Forums

But i cant find any more info on this.... strange

That's a really old article and I'm 99% likely the machine he's talking about is not the newer unibobody machines, but rather the previous generation.

You can always call Apple and ask how much the part is to replace or if you have to replace the entire display. But I'm pretty sure it may be the whole display.

OP
S
Reaction score
fml. im guessting that will be half the price of the laptop

whats the best cover for the top then?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry its a 15" MBP silver. Im not 100% sure what exact edition it is but it was bought 11 months ago brand new from apple UK...

Does that help?

I checked a couple sites...and like Schweb mentioned...no one seemed to have it. You can get the bottom...but not the top. You might be able to get it from Apple. Not sure how much it would cost...but it probably won't be cheap. Here's the lower case:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2009) Lower Case (922-9043) - iFixit

...and it costs $149 US.

In addition to Schweb's idea of a hard case...you could apply a "skin" for your Macbook Pro...for example:

Skins for 15" MacBook Pro Unibody | GelaSkins

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I checked a couple sites...and like Schweb mentioned...no one seemed to have it. You can get the bottom...but not the top. You might be able to get it from Apple. Not sure how much it would cost...but it probably won't be cheap. Here's the lower case:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2009) Lower Case (922-9043) - iFixit

...and it costs $149 US.

In addition to Schweb's idea of a hard case...you could apply a "skin" for your Macbook Pro...for example:

Skins for 15" MacBook Pro Unibody | GelaSkins

Good luck,

- Nick

Those skins look a little tacky. Do they do plain ones? Are they just a big sticker?

I can probably live with the scratch... im thinking more of the re sale price

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.