Cannot empty trash, even after following other webpages

JPC

Reaction score
Right so today I installed Windows 7 on my Mac because some 3D modelling software I needed is only available on that platform. Now when I was on the Macs side I'm not sure if I dragged the files from my bootcamp HDD or from my Macintosh HDD to the bin but now I cannot empty it. When I click empty it makes the sound and gets rid of all other files bar 2. I've tried emptying securely but that just comes up with 'The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "filename" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)'. Now when I open the trash and press cmd + i on the files it says under permissions 'You can read and write' and also they're not locked. I've tried Trash It! and several different Terminal commands but no luck. Please can someone give me the heads up because I don't want to format my machine with all the time I've spent installing stuff!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What terminal commands did you try?
ADVANCED WARNING - YOU DO THIS WRONG YOU MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER - BE VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL DO NOT CUT AND PASTE.
Code:
cd ~/.Trash
ls
The ls should show you what is in your Trash - if it isn't what you expect stop right there.

YOU DO THIS NEXT BIT IN THE WRONG SPOT YOU ARE IN TROUBLE. BACKUP JUST IN CASE. RUN THIS COMMAND IN THE ~/.Trash directory.
Code:
sudo rm -rf *
It will ask for your password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
What is it about .Trash lately?

OP
J

JPC

Reaction score
I followed some advice on this site Solving Trash Problems and how do I enter that into terminal without messing it up?
cd ~/.Trash (return)
ls (return)
sudo rm -rf * (return) ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You are correct - I am just warning you that sudo rm -rf * is a very dangerous operation. Be very clear on where you are when you run it. Any typo in any of the commands could be catastrophic - especially if you don't back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.